Static assertion failure in core on compilation with 64 bit (EDIT: VS with /Zp4)

When compiling the juce core in a 64bit project with VisualStudio 2013 (admittedly not boilerplated with rejucer though), I get a static assertion failure from juce_String.cpp at this line:

static_jassert (sizeof (EmptyString) == sizeof (StringHolder));

I believe the problem has to do with the alignment specifier in the Atomic<int> (which is used in StringHolder, but not EmptyString):

#if JUCE_64BIT
    JUCE_ALIGN(8)
   #else
    JUCE_ALIGN (4)
   #endif

I did specify the JUCE_64BIT specifier: that makes no difference.

Taking the alignment macros out entirely makes it compile, but I don't know what consequences that has.

I used the master branch and the version Jule's committed to last evening - the code in question is there for a year now though, I don't think this is a new issue.

Maybe there's some additional build options I didn't set?

Loads of people, including me, have been using VS2013 for a long time now, and everyone will have used that code without any trouble. So it must be some setting that you've customised in your project, but I've no idea what!

The demo project can't be built targetting x64 with struct member alignment set to 4 bytes (option /Zp4 under code generation and using VS 2012 this time).

This option was set in the After Effects plugin sample project I was using.

A safer way to make JUCE compile appears to simply use Atomic<int> in the EmptyString like this:

//==============================================================================
// (Mirrors the structure of StringHolder, but without the atomic member, so can be statically constructed)
struct EmptyString
{
    Atomic<int> refCount;
    size_t allocatedBytes;
    String::CharPointerType::CharType text;
};
static const EmptyString emptyString = { static_cast<Atomic<int> >(0x3fffffff), sizeof (String::CharPointerType::CharType), 0 };

The comment suggests that this should have trouble compiling, but it does compile for me.

The point that the comment is making is that although it would obviously compile with Atomic<int>, having a class there instead of a primitive means that the compiler may choose to initialise it using a function, which can create order-of-initialisation problems. But by using a primitive type, the exe's startup image would just contain the raw memory image of it, so would safe to use from any compile unit, even during other static initialisers.