[suggestions] a wiki or similar for short documents

There are about a dozen short documents that would really be useful that would not have to be written by Jules.

There’s that previous document I described, on threading and locking.

Even a few paragraphs on the new leak detector would be very enlightening to developers (it’s really useful and easy to use if you dig into it).

A page on how juce::String handles encodings and internationalization would have saved me reinventing the wheel a few months ago.

I’ve seen a lot of stuff on writing audio plug-ins on the forum that would be much clearer in one or a few documents.

There are several more. A wiki-style collaborative space where members could mark up a few documents on these matters might clarify things greatly for the new developer.

A wiki would indeed be a good thing - and this website could really use a bit of a facelift in lots of other ways too…

Since I don’t have time to do this myself (and web-skills aren’t my “core competency” anyway), I’m starting to realise that I might just have to hire someone to help out in sprucing it up… Unfortunately the only good web-designers that I know charge even more astronomical daily rates than I do, and are all busy anyway… Anyone know a decent, out-of-work web-designer who might be interested in a little project like this? (for cheap!)

Hiring someone else seems… drastic. And the overhead in communicating! And your website is fine, why monkey with it?

Re: wikis/documentation - is there some pre-packaged solution you could use for free?

For example, I don’t know SourceForge, but code.google.com has a pretty decent Wiki system with variable perms, perhaps SF does too? You could use either of those, and if it were code.google.com, not even have your main codebase be there, just a pointer to the source forge repo - and you wouldn’t have to support anything.

This also distinguishes from this “official” site and the secondary contributors’ site.

If there was a Wiki, I would definitely contribute to it on a regular basis. And I agree about either hiring or outsourcing…I don’t want Jules to waste his precious time on anything except improving Juce!!!

Maybe Jules can ask his webhost to install a basic Wiki application and the rest of us can try fleshing it out?

Maybe Jules can ask his webhost to install a basic Wiki application and the rest of us can try fleshing it out?

Even that is work for Jules and more overload on his server which is sometimes overloaded already.

I’m strongly in favour of Jules using someone else’s work and servers.

I mean, heck, you and I, Vinn, could just set up a “Juce fan club” open source project on any of these services and go to it!

I’m completely open to that. I have unused bandwidth and server resources available, and I can just ask my provider to set up the wiki. Which software do you recommend? I don’t know anything about these things. I can just ask the hosting company to install the software you recommend and give it a dedicated IP.

If it takes off, Jules can point a subdomain to it.

So what software package should I use?

But why not put it on code.google.com, github or one of those?

Because I didn’t know they exist? There’s free wiki hosting?

Yeh, have a look at the UGen project for an example http://code.google.com/p/ugen/w/list. Embedding the Doxygen generated API in a Wiki is pretty cool.

So, come on Jules, I suggest you bless this idea, which requires no work on your part, and you can’t stop us from doing anyway! :stuck_out_tongue:

We’ll set up some secondary open source project called “Juce fan club” or something, and write documentation and put in utilities, and you can contribute when you feel like it.

I think this is overall a better idea for everyone as opposed to Jules paying money and spending time on a website redesign.

This site and this forum is great for exactly what it is, a place to ask questions and to search for answers, and might as well be left exactly as is, and Jules (IMHO) should stick with his core competence (and no doubt most entertaining activity) of writing programs.

There’s already a Juce wiki…

You do indeed have my blessing!

Thanks for the blessing, Jules!

The site that was hosting the JUCE Wiki seems to be gone, unfortunately, or did I make a searching mistake?

If we did this, it’d be personally better for me if we used Github as that’s what I use for my own and professional source control… but, it doesn’t seem to have nearly as nice a Wiki as Google code.

I’m sort of hot to do this now as I have a lot of information regarding Juce fresh in my head, and I’m going travelling for two months starting Feb 1. (I’m actually going to be working while travelling but still…)

I’ve never really explored Google code or Github very much - maybe one of those would actually be a better choice for hosting than SourceForge, (which was the only game in town when I started the project).

Splendid! (and if your travels take you past london, do pop in and say hello!)

I strongly suggest migrating to github, it has lots of useful features for developers and end users, that allow collaborative discussions about the code