SVG Button

I want to display an SVG as the image for a button. I saw DrawableButton and Drawable and assumed that's the correct classes to use. I attached an .svg as a resource to the component class, that's fine, that gives me a string (char*). However, I can't figure out how to give that to Drawable to use. Drawable->createFromSVG doesn't take char*.

Must be an example somewhere but I can't find it. I also ran across the BinaryBuilder stuff and was wondering if I need to be using that somehow instead?

Just parse your string into XML.. If you grep for "createFromSVG" there are examples in the codebase.

Not all svg files are correctly painted with juce, if you get a black image instead of your svg image try to open your svg file with Inkscape and save it again in Plain SVG (*.svg) format.

Here is an example code to draw a svg as a component:

ScopedPointer<XmlElement> svg (XmlDocument::parse (BinaryData::file_svg));

if (svg != nullptr)
    drawable = Drawable::createFromSVG (*svg);

addAndMakeVisible(drawable);

http://www.juce.com/api/classDrawableButton.html#a234fdfb0b05c4b2fe42b22366377829a

I don't have a string, I have an .svg file. I attached it as a resource to my .cpp file. Which again, I don't know if this is the right thing to do, but seems preferable for finding the "file".

Grepping for createFromSVG returns jucer_Icons.cpp that lists it in a commented-out section (its not complete). The other grep result has it parsed from a file on the file system. So, I'm not understanding the proper conversion from the "attached resource" (which lists a bunch of char[] numbers, not an xml string).

jucer_Icons.cpp: seems to have an appropriate example, but I have no idea how to get uint8[] arrays rather than the char[] that attaching the resource gave me.

I did get your code snippet to work which is good because the codebase doesn't seem to have this. I just used it with a DrawableButton. I didn't know how to get BinaryData to compile, but apparently just putting a file in an appropriately named subfolder worked. Hopefully this will help the next person.

I don’t get how to use the Drawable class in the code snippet of Theadd! It looks to be abstract but the function Drawable::createFromSVG returns a pointer to an instance of that class. I’m quite sure it is my lack of C++ knowledge and if anybody could help I would appreciate!
Thanks in advance

Having a pointer to an abstract class is completely fine - this is exactly how abstract classes meant to be used.

I’d suggest looking up C++ abstract classes and polymorphism in a book or an online resource. Here’s one to start with: https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/C%2B%2B_Programming/Classes/Abstract_Classes