Taking snapshots of a VST GUI

Hi!

I am building a host application and try to take a snapshot (as an image) of a plugin’s GUI. I have tried calling paintEntireComponent to draw the GUI to my own Graphics object, which results in an image of the window’s frame, but a black canvas. I have also tried createComponentSnapshot on the pluginWindow, which results in a solid green image.

Before I try to dig deeper into this, do you think this will ever work, or is plugin GUIs some kind of special case which can’t be used like this?

Thank you!
Arvid

It’s definetly possible, (FLStudio has that feature) but you will have to your OS native functions to take snapshots of plugin windows. Juce can do snapshots of components created in juce, within an instance of an application (you can take a snapshot of your plugin within your plugin).

I pasted some code into this thread: http://www.rawmaterialsoftware.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4085 that might help you on Windows.

Thanks to both of you!

A good starting point (how could I miss that thread when searching earlier?), but I am on Mac currently, so I need to figure out how to do it using Mac OS instead. Let me know if you have any ideas!

Thanks again,
Arvid