The Projucers.. :)

Yes, that’s definitely one of the uses I had in mind - and I’ve already been using it myself to write the custom l+f in the introjucer.

That looks very interesting ! Sometimes it’s a pain to do UI stuff with Visual Studio, and to spend hours to set correctly the position of several controls in plug-ins…

Jules wrote

Yes please!

Amazing… all of it is amazing. I was wondering if it would have worked with opengl, so when you loaded up the juce demo I was happy to see that question answered!

Congratulations.

Thanks!

BTW if any of you are regulars on reddit/slashdot/hackernews etc I’d appreciate you sharing your thoughts on this with the wider world… Although I read all the programming news sites, I’m not an active user on any of them, so it’d probably be rightfully seen as a bit obnoxious if I went and created accounts just to post a link about my own product!

Great job! I’ve been looking forward for this demo since you mentioned it and haven’t been disappointed at all.

One question immediately popped up: wouldn’t it also be possible to perform the same JIT trick on AudioSource subclasses? It would make a nice tool for prototyping or fine-tuning audio-effects: just let the tool remember a default audio setup, and make it possible to select an input / test signal, and everytime it recompiles the class, you’d immediately hear the changes (even better if it would also support real-time changes of constant values).

So how much of that JIT magic is specific to JUCE components (beside the editor features, of course)? Could it be enhanced to any other classes as long as they don’t have any other dependencies to other objects in my app?

No way Jules. This isn’t some crappy webcomic that you’re pushing on people. As far as reddit and hacker news go, you should post it. People will have questions about it and they’ll be looking for you to answer questions in the comments page. People are always submitting their own ideas for feedback anyway. Go for it!

Oh, absolutely! I didn’t show it in the video, but you can also open up the juce demo’s audio page component, and it plays the audio just fine. You could write a really simple component class that just sits there playing your audio source, and yes indeed, any literals that you change would instantly change the sound.

In fact there’s really nothing special about components… It compiles your entire app, and the components just provide entry points for getting something on the screen to represent what your code does. Within your components you can do anything, and call any code at all! If you have a completely non-GUI class, you’d just need to write a simple wrapper component that instantiates your code and provides some kind of visualisation of whatever it does, and then you can get on with changing it and seeing the result.

Yeah, but remember I’m English and we have a tradition of self-deprecation!

haha, well I’m Canadian so I can relate! I’d say just post to Hacker News to start and be ready to answer questions there. Chris Granger did his Light Table post there.

This is totally awesome ! :shock:

[quote=“Wolfen”]
This is totally awesome ! :shock:[/quote]
I am shocked too, and really looking forward to the moment we can get our hands on this, even if it is just for some early testing and blowing up things.

I mean it would be really great to write the code of an audio effect, and to listen to the result in one click on a WAV file with the Projucer. It would be a little revolution like coding VST plug-ins with Faust.

I wonder if the code compiled with LLVM is efficient, and if any audio process can be too CPU heavy for prototyping…

LLVM’s code generation is extremely good. Other people use it for things like CPU-emulation of openGL, etc., and other very performance-intensive things, so don’t worry about that.

That looks really promising :stuck_out_tongue:

Ok… vote me up!
http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=4506826

Very cool !
May indeed saves hours of tiedous UI tweaks !

Salvator

Hi Jules, You should upload the video on vimeo or youtube, as people on ios devices can’t watch it on google +.

Ah, I didn’t realise… Thanks for the heads-up, I’ll move it…

so awesome! when will it be available?! I could see this making plugin development much simpler as well. Will there be an LVMM module as well?

I’m hoping to get an alpha release ready within a month.

And assuming that you mean an LLVM module, then no, sorry, that’s not possible.