UIWebView and iOS woes

Hi everyone!

I am working on distributing a juce-based ios app for beta testing. When running the app on simulator and via a connected device, everything works fine. However, when I attempted to upload the app to App Store Connect, everything seemed to go through, but then I got an email that said:

ITMS-90809: Deprecated API Usage - New apps that use UIWebView are no longer accepted. Instead, use WKWebView for improved security and reliability. Learn more (UIWebView | Apple Developer Documentation).

From what I’m reading, it looks like apple has long allowed the use of the deprecated “UIWebView”, but has recently banned its use.

So what should I do? It looks like JUCE uses UIWebView several times. Are people working on moving things over to WKWebview? Is there some easy way around this; like are there some dependencies I can just uncheck to remove the references to UIWebView?

Any help is appreciated! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I just ran into this too. I’m looking for a solution. My app doesn’t use any webviews directly. Maybe I can stub it out.

We’ve added WKWebView support as part of JUCE 6 which is available to test on the juce6 branch. However, if you aren’t using a web view in your app you can just disable the JUCE_WEB_BROWSER flag in the juce_gui_extra module and it won’t be referenced.

1 Like