Unique identifiers for duplicate MIDI devices

Here’s my problem - I’m attempting to develop an application (currently on macOS but eventually Windows too) that needs to distinguish between two identical MIDI controllers. I can’t use the MidiInput device names as these will be the same, and I’ve found that I can’t use the MidiInput device index as the order of these won’t necessarily be the order that you connect the devices (e.g. if I’ve connected a device called ‘foo’ which has an index of 0, when connecting a second device called ‘foo’ it may be set to index 1, or it may be set to index 0 and push the 1st ‘foo’ to index 1). From what I can see, there is currently no way in the JUCE library to get any kind of unique identifier for each MidiInput/MidiOutput device.

From looking at juce_mac_CoreMidi.cpp and the CoreMIDI library I’ve found that the CoreMIDI MIDIGetSource() function will return a unique number, and so far using this appears to fix my problem.

Is there any reason why using MIDIGetSource() to get a unique identifier is a bad idea?

Are there any alternative options? I tried using the kMIDIPropertyUniqueID parameter but this always appears to return any empty string.

I haven’t yet tested this on Windows yet, but assuming I’ll run into the same problems is there an alternative to MIDIGetSource() in the Windows MIDI library?

Thanks.

Making all the MIDI classes ID-based is something we were talking about adding last week - should be appearing soon.

That’s great to hear!

Is it likely to be coming soon in a few days or a few weeks?