Unit test fixture requirements?

Hi,

I am interested in what kind of unit test fixtures people are using with JUCE. Currently my tests do nothing in terms of fixture, and they run fine, but they inevitably trigger the LeakDetector on shutdown. For example, testing a Component leaves me with:

*** Leaked objects detected: 1 instance(s) of class OSXTypeface

What do you do to properly setUp and tearDown the JUCE? Thanks.

Have a look at the following for creating unit tests:

There are many examples in the library if you do a search.

[quote]For example, testing a Component leaves me with:

*** Leaked objects detected: 1 instance(s) of class OSXTypeface[/quote]
To me, that seems like something that doesn’t require a unit test, per sé, but a pointer deletion. :slight_smile: If you aren’t already aware of this class, check this out if you’re allocating stuff on the heap: juce::ScopedPointer.

What I personally do is create a bare-bones project with the Introjucer, and test little things out here and there… especially before moving anything into a main project.

Thanks for your reply.

My tests do not allocate memory, and it’s not about that specific leak either. I have also seen other things:

*** Leaked objects detected: 1 instance(s) of class MouseInputSourceInternal

I am wondering whether I have to e.g. initialise() and shutdown() a JUCEApplication in my test fixture to get all the required clean ups? Something else?

[quote=“stefanholek”]Thanks for your reply.

My tests do not allocate memory, and it’s not about that specific leak either. I have also seen other things:

*** Leaked objects detected: 1 instance(s) of class MouseInputSourceInternal

I am wondering whether I have to e.g. initialise() and shutdown() a JUCEApplication in my test fixture to get all the required clean ups? Something else?[/quote]

Yeah, you have to shutdown the system. See the stuff in juce_Initialisation.h

Thanks, that worked nicely!

For the record:

If you want to use CATCH with JUCE, your testrunner.cpp should look like this:

[code]#define CATCH_CONFIG_RUNNER
#include “catch.hpp”
#include “…/JuceLibraryCode/JuceHeader.h”

int main(int argc, char* const argv[])
{
ScopedJuceInitialiser_GUI juce;
return Catch::Main(argc, argv);
}
[/code]
CATCH: https://github.com/philsquared/Catch/wiki

I expect this to also work with other test frameworks that add their own main() function.

Approaches to running unit tests