Verified by pluginval

Hi all, at ADC I announced our “Verified by pluginval” scheme to help promote conscientious developers who actively test their plugins.

The first round of responders are now live on the website and can be seen here: https://www.tracktion.com/develop/pluginval

Over the coming weeks we’ll be looking at ways to share this info with our community so please get in contact if you want to be involved or have any suggestions.

To be featured, all you need to do is run the latest version of pluginval over your plugins for each format and OS on a “strictness-level” of 5 or more and send us the log files at develop@tracktion.com or via our support system here https://tracktion.zendesk.com/

5 Likes

That’s an awesome initiative, thanks @dave96!

The log you are talking about is just piping the output in a file? Or does pluginval write a log somewhere?

Just managed --strictness-level 10 with my open source plugin, is there a bonus for “high scores”? :wink:
(Sorry for showing off…)

Nice! Sounds like I will have a long weekend ahead of me…

Just the output of the log file.
I’ll hopefully be adding a command line option to generate these automatically this afternoon.

1 Like

Hopefully not too long! I’m aiming to make this very easy to add to your build chain (will add some docs later today).

I have a dozen plugins, 32bits, 64bits, AU, AUv3, VST, VST3, goign to be long :stuck_out_tongue:

Do you build them all with CI?

Also, pluginval doesn’t come in a 32-bit variety for simplicity (I’ve also not tested it with AUv3 tbh although that should simply be a case of a build setting).

No, it’s built manually on my two boxes (using travis and appveyor is not worth it for what I do, at this stage).

Noted for 32bits!

Hi!

Using pluginval Windows release v1.0.1 here.

Is the info that validation of 32-bit Plugins is not supported, still up to date? I could not find any info on this in the GitHub, but the Win32 VST3 build of our plugin is failing with the following message:

Test 1 failed: No types found. This usually means the plugin binary is missing or damaged, an incompatible format or that it is an AU that isn’t found by macOS so can’t be created.

Our Win64 VST3 plugin passes all tests when validating locally-built binaries. However, when I run binaries from our CI through pluginval, they always fail with:

Test 1 failed: Unable to restore default layout

First I thought it had to do with code-signing, but our automatic CI jobs, which do not get codesigned, also fail with the same message. These binaries should be identical to my locally-built ones, so I’m a little puzzled.

Next step is to build pluginval and debug the failed validation, but just wanted to check first if I was going in the right direction.

Cheers,
B

Sorry, I’ve been on holiday for a couple of weeks.

Yes, pluginval doesn’t support 32-bit. It’s on its way out and too much of a toolchain headache to support.

I would continue with building and running pluginval under the debugger to see why that test is failing.
One thing I would mention is that I think we had some plugins that failed that test and then updating JUCE and rebuilding out plugins fixed it. Not sure if it would be the same for you though.