VST speaker arrangement fixes of Rev. 722 crashes Nuendo

Hi,
I just updated juce to rev. 735 and when I try to open my plugins within Steinberg hosts on Windows the app crashes. I found out, that this doesn’t happen if I use everything from rev. 735 except the juce_VST_wrapper. Version 721 is the last version that works, all newer versions with changes to vst speaker arrangement crash the Steinberg hosts. I didn’t encounter problems with other hosts. Unfortunately with version 721 there are crashes with Steinberg hosts, too, but only if you try to load the plug into a channel with more than two inputs: eg. 6.0. Mono and Stereo are fine. With versions newer than 721 even Mono and Stereo configurations crash the app.

Hi,
I figured out that when you specify only the maximum inputs and outputs in jucePluginCharacteristics.h:

#define JucePlugin_PreferredChannelConfigurations {6, 2} //#define JucePlugin_PreferredChannelConfigurations {1, 2 }, {2, 2}, {3, 2}, {4, 2}, {5, 2}, {6, 2}, {1, 1 }, {2, 1}, {3, 1}, {4, 1}, {5, 1}, {6, 1}
instead of all supported combinations (uncommented line), the current juce_VST_Wrapper works with Steineberg hosts, too. I guess, this was ment by [quote]// in the constructor of the filter base class and always keep numInChans and numOutChans the maximum your plugin can handle [/quote] in post http://www.rawmaterialsoftware.com/juceforum/viewtopic.php?t=3943&highlight=vstspeakerarrangement.

In think there should be a comment in jucePluginCharacteristics.h describing this, since this might crash some hosts (as in my case) and isn’t clearly adressed in the existing comment. Maybe a better way was to tweak setSpeakerArrangement(…) in the juce_VST_Wrapper to handle this problem, otherwise people would have to adjust their jucePluginCharacteristics.h file depending if they built VST, AU or RTAS.