Weird dsp::Convolution noise only with FL Studio

Hi folks,

I have a dsp::Convolution module as the last step of my audio plugin processing. It works fine as standalone app, AU or VST3 plugin with most DAWs. The only exception is with FL Studio. When I load AU or VST3 plugin in FL Studio and turn that convolution switch on, the processed audio has some sort of weird noise (I’d say it’s similar to white noise). It never occurs in Logic or Cubase which most of my tests are based on.

Any thoughts on why that happens?

Thanks,
Liang

In at least some FL Studio versions, the processBlock will be called with a buffer with a random number of samples (between 1 and the maximum amount of samples from prepareToPlay). Maybe you did not account for buffer sizes other than the maximum amount of samples in your dsp?

1 Like

Thanks for your awesome reply. I did only set a maximum buffer size in prepareToPlay method. The run-time processing buffer size is smaller than maximum in FL Studio, and my convolution is processing some length of garbage data which is likely to be the noise-like sound source. I modified my code by synchronizing buffer size all the time and it works now. Problem solved!

Liang

1 Like