Wrong values shown using SliderAttachment

I’m using an AudioProcessorValueTreeState with SliderAttachments. Drags are snapped by a custom snapValue() at some specified interval, say 20. Then, sometimes the values shown are off by one: 180, 199, 220. I know this happens because they get normalized and denormalized: SliderAttachment sets a lambda to textFromValueFunction which calls getTextForDenormalisedValue() -here it’s normalized-, which calls AudioParameterFloat::getText -here it’s re-denormalized. Is there any way to avoid this zigzagging? It’s not a terrible quirk, but a quirk nonetheless.

You shouldn’t normalise or denomralise in the textToValue function/lambda. The number that is coming in as argument is the number you want to display. And vice versa in valueToText.

Also for a better setting of the NormalisableRange of the parameter, have a look at the alternative Constructor of AudioParameterFloat, which takes a NormalisableRange object. And then have a look at the various constructors to NormalisableRange. With that approach you can define things much more precise.

I’m using the second constructor, actually to set a string-from-value function for setting the amount of decimals shown. It’s not me that’s normalizing, it’s SliderAttachment. In Slider::getTextFromValue:

if (textFromValueFunction != nullptr)
    return textFromValueFunction (val);

In SliderAttachment::Pimpl constructor:

slider.textFromValueFunction = [param](double value) { return param->getTextForDenormalisedValue ((float) value); };

In AudioProcessorValueTreeState::ParameterAdapter:

String getTextForDenormalisedValue (float value) const
{
    return parameter.getText (normalise (value), 0);
}

float normalise (float denormalised) const
{
    return getParameter().convertTo0to1 (denormalised);
}

In AudioParameterFloat:

String AudioParameterFloat::getText (float v, int length) const { return stringFromValueFunction (convertFrom0to1 (v), length); }

So we’re doing stringFromValueFunction(convertFrom0to1(convertTo0to1(value))). SliderAttachment normalizes and denormalizes before converting to String. The value is alright before that, but loses precision afterwards.

The lambda the SliderAttachment is setting is the one from the connected AudioParameterFloat.

• What is the range you are setting to the parameter?
  • Is the range actually divisible by the step size?
  • What if you supply the step size in the NormalisableRange of the parameter instead of overriding the snapToValue function?

In the particular case I’m talking about, the range is 20…10020, and the step size is 20. I’m using snapValue instead of the range interval because I don’t want to quantize automation. Otherwise slow automations on small ranges get badly staircased, and I’m not smoothing all parameters. In this case I may end up setting a small interval, because it doesn’t matter that much. I just hoped there was some way to bypass that zigzagging without quantizing the actual values.