Android App crashes on back button press

So far everything is working for me on android right now… except it crashes when I press the back button to close the app or do anything else.
It gives me the following error: com.roli.juce.JuceApp cannot be cast to android.app.Activity

The complete console output is:

2019-03-03 00:40:14.794 24523-24523/com.dustvoice.communicare_ev.client E/AndroidRuntime: FATAL EXCEPTION: main
    Process: com.dustvoice.communicare_ev.client, PID: 24523
    java.lang.ClassCastException: com.roli.juce.JuceApp cannot be cast to android.app.Activity
        at com.roli.juce.ComponentPeerView.onKeyDown(ComponentPeerView.java:243)
        at android.view.KeyEvent.dispatch(KeyEvent.java:2688)
        at android.view.View.dispatchKeyEvent(View.java:11712)
        at android.view.ViewGroup.dispatchKeyEvent(ViewGroup.java:1822)
        at android.view.ViewRootImpl$ViewPostImeInputStage.processKeyEvent(ViewRootImpl.java:4768)
        at android.view.ViewRootImpl$ViewPostImeInputStage.onProcess(ViewRootImpl.java:4640)
        at android.view.ViewRootImpl$InputStage.deliver(ViewRootImpl.java:4175)
        at android.view.ViewRootImpl$InputStage.onDeliverToNext(ViewRootImpl.java:4228)
        at android.view.ViewRootImpl$InputStage.forward(ViewRootImpl.java:4194)
        at android.view.ViewRootImpl$AsyncInputStage.forward(ViewRootImpl.java:4321)
        at android.view.ViewRootImpl$InputStage.apply(ViewRootImpl.java:4202)
        at android.view.ViewRootImpl$AsyncInputStage.apply(ViewRootImpl.java:4378)
        at android.view.ViewRootImpl$InputStage.apply(ViewRootImpl.java:4202)
        at android.view.ViewRootImpl$AsyncInputStage.forward(ViewRootImpl.java:4354)
        at android.view.ViewRootImpl$ImeInputStage.onFinishedInputEvent(ViewRootImpl.java:4515)
        at android.view.inputmethod.InputMethodManager$PendingEvent.run(InputMethodManager.java:2465)
        at android.view.inputmethod.InputMethodManager.invokeFinishedInputEventCallback(InputMethodManager.java:2028)
        at android.view.inputmethod.InputMethodManager.finishedInputEvent(InputMethodManager.java:2019)
        at android.view.inputmethod.InputMethodManager$ImeInputEventSender.onInputEventFinished(InputMethodManager.java:2442)
        at android.view.InputEventSender.dispatchInputEventFinished(InputEventSender.java:141)
        at android.os.MessageQueue.nativePollOnce(Native Method)
        at android.os.MessageQueue.next(MessageQueue.java:325)
        at android.os.Looper.loop(Looper.java:142)
        at android.app.ActivityThread.main(ActivityThread.java:6798)
        at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Native Method)
        at com.android.internal.os.Zygote$MethodAndArgsCaller.run(Zygote.java:240)
        at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit.main(ZygoteInit.java:767)

This was reported in https://github.com/WeAreROLI/JUCE/issues/492 and fixed on the develop branch in https://github.com/WeAreROLI/JUCE/commit/6eab395204353d087a2ba4404dfbfa0f270aa319.

1 Like

Yep, I’ll cherry pick that onto master too.

Although it doesn’t crash anymore in the developer branch, it stops working rather fast: take the NativeAndroidJuceSample, add a GUI component (NewComponent) and put a rotary slider on it. Then instead of ‘Slider juceComponent’ in NativeAndroidJuceActivity.cpp, use NewComponent juceComponent; and include the header.
The back button stops working after moving the slider. When pushing the button to remove the Juce component, you can use the back button.

What is the “NativeAndroidJuceSample”? Can you reproduce this with any of the JUCE examples or a simple test app?

It was one of your examples some time ago:

Kind regards,

Davy

eXtream Software Development

http://www.extreamsd.com

What is the expected behaviour? I’ve just tried it and when pressing the back button it returns to the device’s home screen. If you want to do some specific behaviour when the user presses the back button you can override JUCEApplicationBase::backButtonPressed().

Did you do:

"add a GUI component (NewComponent) and put a rotary slider on it. Then instead of ‘Slider juceComponent’ in NativeAndroidJuceActivity.cpp, use NewComponent juceComponent; and include the header.

The back button stops working after moving the slider. When pushing the button to remove the Juce component, you can use the back button." ?

Kind regards,

Davy

Yes… Are you using the emulator or a hardware device? Can you reproduce this with one of the JUCE examples like the DemoRunner?

Hardware device. This is the only applicable example for my use case (using JUCE in an existing app) that I found, so I didn’t try further. It’s probably some kind of focus thing.

Kind regards,

Davy