Announcing JUCE 6

Congrats! Looks really good and can’t wait to try it out :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Why do I feel that customers of the subscription get the worse deal of all ? 3 years of paying $65/month and we’re the only ones that do not get any discount , just a x2 increase of the price ?

Just noticing, that the funding limit for indie users went up from 200k to 500k p.a., some might qualify for the smaller tier now.

I have one question: what is a ballistic filter? I must know it by a different name.

2 Likes

It’s like an envelope follower. It applies attack/release ballistics to an input signal.

4 Likes

People who have had a JUCE 5 subscription since the launch of JUCE 5 get the worst deal.

When we launched JUCE 5 we intended to do a major release every 14 to 18 months and this release schedule means that the overall cost of a subscription license would have been much lower than the cost of a perpetual license. The last few years has seen some dramatic changes in the size of the JUCE team and some competing demands of the team’s time. This has made planning very challenging. One of the motivations of the new pricing is to provide a more substantial funding buffer so that the JUCE team becomes more independent.

It is still our intention to do a major release every 12 to 18 months and we’re now in a much better place to ensure this happens.

If anyone on a JUCE 5 subscription has paid more than the cost of the equivalent JUCE 5 perpetual license then we will offer them a discount on a JUCE 6 perpetual license comparable to the amount they have overpaid (on top of the 30% upgrade discount).

10 Likes

Yes, it’s a basic emulation of the diode + resistances + capacitances you see all the time in envelope followers, compressor code etc., like the one in the Giannoulis articles:

http://c4dm.eecs.qmul.ac.uk/audioengineering/compressors/index.html

It is useful also for visualisation algorithms :wink:

2 Likes

Thanks that what I figured. I’m all too familiar with that one. All welcome additions. Great work!

1 Like

great @t0m was in the middle of a rant about release cycle plans opennes and perpetual vs montlhy but you just answered it 100% (at least for my Indie / Single seat freelance galaxy)
big hearts and thumbs up!

So based on your answere I’d say perpetual looks way better for Indies since:

1. it’s one payment + one invoice --> less paperwork hassle + easier to ask the Juce team to have it VAT compliant than month by month.
  2. with past release data (3 years) I’d bet more on a 18 month cycle for juce 7, which would be almost a break even for a perpetual, not counting discounts

Looking forward to try juce 6!

2 Likes

I’m assuming an open source version will still be available? Right?

Yes, JUCE 6 will be (in fact, is) available under the terms of the GPL v3.

2 Likes

Congrats!! I’ve been waiting for this day to come.

1 Like

Great news! And thanks to the JUCE team for the early announcement and this large variety of upgrade solutions for a fair price. I’m looking forward to the release!

1 Like

This is outstanding news! Time to make some cool stuff and use that to distract the boss when the invoice arrives…

(and to be clear: I think that that JUCE is still a great deal at this new price)

3 Likes

Congratulations, stellar release!

1 Like

@t0m, could you elaborate a bit more on this ?

Thanks in advance!

3 Likes

Do solo developing people really earn more than the previous 200k/year by just selling their VSTs? If yes, how do you get such a big pool of customers? Where do I start to sell, if I already developed my first innovative VST plugin?

1 Like

Nice I think it might actually be time to get a license sooner than later. Will be cool to see what has been added. Still wanting Android so will see where that is and Tracktion Engine once more in a couple months.

I have a couple Android apps I want to port and see performance differences.

Awesome release JUCEers!

1 Like

The Indie tier is not restricted to single-person organisations. As long as an organisation remains within the finding/revenue limits then it can use multiple Indie license seats.

1 Like