Announcing JUCE 6

Awesome stuff!

1 Like

Amazing! The Visual Studio Code support will be super, I was actually trying to set it up with xocdebuild receipes because of IntelliSense working flawless. I’m really done with Xcode autocomplete not working, and sometimes eating all my CPU while being idle

2 Likes

This looks good… fundamental DSP classes are helpful for sure. I’m only scared of the effort in translating my huge project in JUCE 5.4 which has a lot of usage of ‘ScopedPointer’ and of any breaking changes. I guess I miss-understood the meaning of ‘perpetual license’ in the past - I’d assumed that was for all future versions of JUCE - too good to be true I guess. Is there any work required in ‘projucer’ project translation from JUCE 5 to 6?

JUCE 5 projects will open in JUCE 6’s Projucer, but there will be some breaking changes in JUCE 6’s API that might mean that older projects won’t build straight away. We’ll be keeping the “breaking changes” doc up to date so that upgrades are as easy as possible, while still allowing for improvements and upgrades in some older parts of the codebase.

1 Like

Can you provide a little more information about what the improvements to CC message handling in VST3s are?

Great to hear that. We’ve been in subscription mode since JUCE 4 and that make us qualify for the 30% discount I believe.

I assumed the discount will apply to existing license if we continue the subscription of the JUCE 6?

1 Like

The offer is valid from 3 months before the official release of JUCE 6, so, unfortunately, you will miss out on the additional discount.

Not without going into quite a lot of detail. If you search the forum for VST3 and MIDI CC then you will find multiple relevant topics.

Any previous JUCE customer qualifies for a 30% discount on a JUCE 6 perpetual license. It doesn’t matter what version of JUCE this was, or if it was a subscription or a perpetual license.

On top of that 30% we can offer an additional discount if you have held a JUCE 5 subscription long enough that the accumulated total cost of the subscription is larger than the cost of the perpetual license. However, this discount will apply to JUCE 6 perpetual licenses only, not JUCE 6 subscriptions.

3 Likes

I know, I started one of them! :smile:
https://forum.juce.com/t/generating-midi-messages-within-a-vst-plugin-and-passing-them-to-the-host/31472/29

1 Like

Fuck! Missed that by about 2 weeks…

Btw. yeah, what about replacing OpenGL on Mac? Vulkan, Metal…

This is great news. I only have one request for JUCE 6, accessibility improvements!

4 Likes

I’m curious about the ‘Webviews’ bullet point. Can you guys elaborate on this?

i can’t find the new dsp stuff in the current juce6 branch - is it “coming soon” or am i just looking in the wrong place?

We’ve updated the internal webviews used by the WebBrowserComponent - macOS and iOS will now use the WKWebView and Windows will use the Edge-based WinRT WebViewControl where available.

2 Likes

Coming soon :wink:

2 Likes

We agree! This won’t be in the 6.0.0 release but it’s something we’re looking into and will hopefully be a part of a later JUCE 6 release.

3 Likes

This is a great update guys. Looking forward to checking it out. :+1:

1 Like

Ok, it’s still ActiveX on Windows though right?

That’s great thanks for the update Ed.