AU parameter automation issue - ToggleButton does not write

Does anyone have any Apple connections that can escalate a fix for this? I’ve reported it using their Feedback Assistant, but no responses yet. (Not that they’ve ever responded with anything useful before.)

can you explain the why behind why that fix works? Is it just the message manager loop delay caused by using the different mouse events to propagate the parameter changes?

I wouldn’t give up all hope; I’ve had about a 20% success rate reporting things.

The way bug reports are handled is fairly opaque. I’ve had some discounted as duplicates without being able to able to see the original report (to make sure it is actually the same issue) or track any responses to it. I suppose the number of duplicates may count for something. I’ve fired off my own one about this.

Not without speculating along similar lines to you.

1 Like

Can you add this fix to AudioProcessorValueTreeState::ButtonAttachment?

I think you will need to add something like a buttonDown and buttonUp to the Button::Listener or resort to a mouse listener (not great)…

Thanks

It also affects Apple’s built-in AudioUnits, and it’s not just boolean parameters.

The multiple choice “Sensitivity” parameter of Apple’s AURogerBeep doesn’t record automation from Logic’s autogenerated GUI.

A boolean example is the “Peak Locking” parameter of Apple’s AUNewPitch.

It’s not just JUCE’s APVTS button attachment that’s affected, it’s also combo boxes and most of the GenericAudioProcessorEditor :frowning:

void mouseDown (const MouseEvent&) override
{
    param.beginChangeGesture();
}

void mouseUp (const MouseEvent&) override
{
    param.setValueNotifyingHost (newValue);
    param.endChangeGesture();
}

Does this fix Ableton Live automation recording?

The Logic thing it looks like a regression on their part at least!

Oh crap… quite a task :frowning:
You are right, anything except slider just sends discrete events…

Good luck

1 Like

No. I’ve not found any plug-in which works as expected there.

This just makes automation recordable from the plug-in GUI in Logic.

So presumably it’s an issue with Live? Sort of good news! :joy:

Talked to a contact at Apple, they said they’re aware of it and working on it. I’ll update if I hear anything more

6 Likes

Any news from Apple on this front?

does anyone know if Logic 10.4.6 solves this bug? That release came out recently.

As noted above,

Ah, I missed that.

Nothing so far, they are aware of it and working on it but that’s the last I heard.

I would love to hear if the JUCE guys have heard anything, I would have to assume they are aware of it!

Oops, spoke too soon! But good news, seems like it is fixed and slated for next Logic release. No idea when that will be but hopefully on the horizon

3 Likes

How did you hear that it’s fixed in the next update?

You should definitely take it with a grain of salt because it’s “unofficial” but it comes from a contact I have who works on the Logic team

Logic 10.4.7 is out now. Release notes here, which includes:

• Resolves an issue in which it was not possible to automate certain 3rd party Audio Unit plug-in parameters.

Have not gotten to test it yet here.

2 Likes