Audio plugin host and vc7

hi,

there’s something rather weird, If i compile the projects with vc8, there’s no problem, I can run and test the host application.

But If I change the version numbers from 8.0 to 7.1 in the .vcproj and from 9.0 to 8.0 in the .sln I can sucessfully compile the app, but It then fails to load.

No error, no crash log, no warning

any idea?

[quote=“mdsp”]hi,

there’s something rather weird, If i compile the projects with vc8, there’s no problem, I can run and test the host application.

But If I change the version numbers from 8.0 to 7.1 in the .vcproj and from 9.0 to 8.0 in the .sln I can sucessfully compile the app, but It then fails to load.

No error, no crash log, no warning

any idea?[/quote]

Something to do with the manifest ? (so that Windows doesn’t allow it to load certain DLLs). Check with depends.exe to see if all the DLLs needed can be loaded.

Perhaps it´s because the JUCE lib you are using was compiled with VC8. Maybe VC7 and VC8 are not compatible .lib-wise. At least I know that you cannot use VC7 libs in VC6 and not use VC6 libs in VC7. It simply does not work and I guess you will have to first recompile JUCE libs with VC7 before linking you host to the .lib in VC7.

No, in general these kind of error fails at the linking step, in my case, I duplicate the vc8 folder.
for the vcproj files, I just the change the line version="8.00" to version="7.10"
and for the solutions I change 9.0 to 8.0 and make sure the JUCE project points to /vc7/

The solution is in the question.
Don’t fix what is not broken.

Well, I don’t try to fix anything, I’m using VC 7.1 at work not VC8.

Until now each time I had to convert a project from VC8 to VC7 I did that operation, I even have a written a JScript file to automate this operation.

But in this case it seems that I’m loosing that manifest magic doing that.

You can use that project :

http://www.codeproject.com/useritems/WhidbeyProjectConverter.asp
To convert from 2k5 to 2k3
I’m not sure it’s fully working however (only convert the compilation part, not the settings).

You also have:
http://channel9.msdn.com/Photos/ZippedFiles/214409_ConvertVC05to03.zip
which almost the same thing.

Then you can convert a 2k3 project to vs6 dsp using:
http://www.codeproject.com/tools/prjconverter.asp

This one is working very very well (I use it so often for all those vcproj files on the internet).

No conversion is 1:1 through, as every new version supports its own set of functionalities. The most frequent error is the C library incompatibility of the different part of the projects.

I had this problem as well with the Juce Audio Plugin host - it was down to the RTTI setting in the project. RTTI should be enabled rather than disabled. Now it runs in debug, but not in release. noticed that there were a lot of warnings on not being able to generate a copy constructor for the GenericProcessorEditor class. Any clues, jules as to why this is occuring in vc71, but not vc8 ?

Don’t worry about the copy constructor stuff - those are just useless warnings. Not sure why it’d be different, but I’ve got vc7 so will have a go sometime soon.