Audio Plugin thread chase

Just updated my mac from 10.7.5 to 10.9.2 and existing plugins no longer compile of course. So I'm chasing forum threads that are telling me to install what appear to be outdated files....I've had to jump these hoops several times in the last 2 years so Jules, would you consider killing all the outdated threads and provide instructions for Mavericks and XCode 5.1 - It's really a drag having to re-figure this stuff out every time a major update of xcode or the os changes. One page of updated, simple/clear "do this" kind of instructions would be great. 

Maybe just as useful would be a 'beginner level' tutorial about the reasons behind having to jump through the hoops. I know the plugin folder contains a 'how to do plugins' but honestly, experiened programmer that I am, it's actually too technical for me as I spent decades in PC's before moving to mac's and I'm still learning the intricacies of xcode. Which is a multi-year excercise btw.

Examples of questions I have include -

Do I need to install the command line tools? 
Should I add the vst3 sdk code alongside the 2.4 sdk inside the Extra's folder?
What exactly needs to be added, fixed or replaced inside the XCode.app folder for xcode 5.1.1?

Ok, I'll shutup and go back to chasing info around the forum and web while grumbling and mumbling...

Thanks for listening,

Kurt

Do I need to install the command line tools? Not sure - I'd guess not, but they're nice to have anyway.

Should I add the vst3 sdk code alongside the 2.4 sdk inside the Extra's folder? Place them wherever you like and set the right path within the Introjucer project (see attached screenshot for an example).

What exactly needs to be added, fixed or replaced inside the XCode.app folder for xcode 5.1.1? The AudioUnits SDK. This is the best article I have seen yet about how to install it for current XCode: http://teragonaudio.com/article/Building-AudioUnits-with-modern-Mac-OSX.html

As far as I remember, that's all that needs to be done (+ installing Xcode of course) if you stick to using the Introjucer. It never seemed like a big deal to me - apart from the AU SDK, which really is annoying, especially as it needs to be repeated every time you update to another XCode version.

Thanks, I'm up-n-running again.