Audio problem on 64 bit machines

Audio does not play at all on 64 bit machines with juce demo app.
OS Windows XP 64 bit OS
Could u give a solution to the problem

I’m flattered that you think I could know what’s going wrong on your machine based on that bug report, but I’m afraid you’re overestimating my psychic powers…

Have you actually tried debugging it to find out where it fails/crashes? Are you trying to use asio or dsound?

Sorry to furnish you with in-suffient information. I was wondering if
there was 64 bit support
for JUCE audio. I have a complete application that uses Quicktime and
JUCE to play audio.
Using code similar to Audio-Panel in JUCE demo.
I am not using ASIO, using dsound itself.

While JUCE QuickTimeComponent plays the wav files properly, Using
JUCE “AudioDeviceManager” does not
produce any sound.

The reason I am using JUCE “AudioDeviceManager” is to play ogg files.
(since Quicktime natively
does not play ogg files).

PS:This happens only on machines runnning Win-XP x64.
On 32 bit machines app runs perfectly.

Has any one else faced similar problems?

Many Thanks

Ok, but it could be failing in any one of a thousand places - does it actually open the audio device? Have you traced into the code to see how far it gets and what dsound’s error was? Maybe it’s not parsing the ogg file correctly for some reason?..

I can’t think of any reason why dsound would behave differently on a 64-bit machine. Could just be your drivers failing to handle multiple streams at once or something like that.

I debugged the code trying to figure out the problem and I found that when AudioBufferSize is 960 which is the default value in the Juce Demo App Audio does not play properly on 64bit Machine while it place perfectly on a 32 bit machine
But when I increase the AudioBufferSize to 1920 it plays perfectly on both platforms.Couldnt quite figure out the reason as yet.Did not see any errors in dSound as well.Do u have an insight into this.

Thanks

It sounds like just a driver idiosyncrasy.

It’s nothing to do with being 32 or 64 bits - I’ve often heard about lousy drivers that work better at some buffer sizes than others.

Hi Jules,
Even I am facing the same problem.
My question is simple… How do you select a Audio buffer size that will work fine on all/most of the sound driver?

My app plays sound in some machines and on some it does not.

All I want to do is play music files, the way you do it in the audio Demo.
I dont want to confuse my users, by throwing them a comobo-box and asking them to choose the audio buffer size.

Any Solution, Ideas?

Many Thanks,
Yogesh Kini

As far as I know, there’s no way with DSound of finding out the best size. If anyone does know a trick to do this, please let me know!

Well, with Vista, your sound will be up/down sampled depending on the control panel settings, regardless of what you try to set it to, so it may be higher or lower then what you want…

Not to mention that in Vista, DirectSound is no longer hardware accelerated, at all, use OpenAl or ASIO or something else low level for that now.