Best OS/ architecture/ optimisation for Raspberry Pi

Trying to get the best performance out of a JUCE app on a Raspberry Pi 3 B+, I’ve been going through the trial and error of testing JUCE and the app on various combinations of Linux distributions and settings for the makefile’s “Architecture” and “Optimisation” options in the Projucer. If people are interested, I’ll figure out some sort of performance measurement and post the results for each setup. But if anyone else has tried this before, are there any operating systems/architectures I should be looking at in particular?

https://elk.audio ← haven’t tested it yet, but looks promising!

2 Likes

I tested Elk Audio OS it and was pretty happy with it. It keeps its promises (REALLY low latency, etc.).
However, it’s a custom OS designed for low-latency usage and thus lacks some of the development tools that are usually available via e.g. Raspberry OS. If that’s no problem for you, you should have a try!

If you do not require the absolutely lowest latency possible you can still use Raspberry OS, or similar OSs. With a buffer size of 64 samples and a proper soundcard (e.g. HifiBerry) you can reach a round-trip latency of 5-6ms.

1 Like

Have you tried isolating cores and assigning processes to run exlusively on them?

No- but I’ll have to keep that in mind if I come to more performance bottlenecks in the future