Bug in adsr?

I believe I have found a bug in the new adsr class. The issue stems from the fact that the release rate is always calculated based on the sustain level:

void calculateRates (const Parameters& parameters)
    {
        // need to call setSampleRate() first!
        jassert (sr > 0.0);

attackRate  = (parameters.attack  > 0.0f ? static_cast<float> (1.0f                  / (parameters.attack * sr))  : -1.0f);
        decayRate   = (parameters.decay   > 0.0f ? static_cast<float> ((1.0f - sustainLevel) / (parameters.decay * sr))   : -1.0f);
        releaseRate = (parameters.release > 0.0f ? static_cast<float> (sustainLevel          / (parameters.release * sr)) : -1.0f);
    }

However, if decay is long and sustain is low, noteOff() will be called during the decay phase, and the releaseRate will be wrong, resulting in a much longer release time.

0 Likes

My quick and dirty local fix to noteOff() was to recalculate the releaseRate using the current envelopeVal, in case that’s any use :slight_smile:

/** Starts the attack phase of the envelope. */
    void noteOn()
    {
        releaseRate = bufferedReleaseRate;

if      (attackRate > 0.0f)  currentState = State::attack;
        else if (decayRate > 0.0f)   currentState = State::decay;
        else                         currentState = State::sustain;
    }

/** Starts the release phase of the envelope. */
    void noteOff()
    {
        if (currentState != State::idle)
        {
            if (releaseRate > 0.0f)
            {
                if (currentState != State::sustain)
                    releaseRate = static_cast<float> (envelopeVal / (currentParameters.release * sr));

currentState = State::release;
            }
            else
                reset();
        }
    }

void calculateRates (const Parameters& parameters)
    {
        // need to call setSampleRate() first!
        jassert (sr > 0.0);

attackRate  = (parameters.attack  > 0.0f ? static_cast<float> (1.0f              / (parameters.attack * sr))  : -1.0f);
        decayRate = (parameters.decay > 0.0f ? static_cast<float> ((1.0f - sustainLevel) / (parameters.decay * sr)) : -1.0f);
        if (currentState == State::release)
        {
            releaseRate = (parameters.release > 0.0f ? static_cast<float> (envelopeVal / (parameters.release * sr)) : -1.0f);
        }
        else
        {            
            releaseRate = (parameters.release > 0.0f ? static_cast<float> (sustainLevel / (parameters.release * sr)) : -1.0f);
            bufferedReleaseRate = releaseRate;
        }
    }
0 Likes

Thanks for reporting, I’ve pushed this (and another ADSR fix) to the develop branch here.

1 Like

Hi, I used that fix, but I also had to reset the releaseRate to its nominal value in the reset function, otherwise it leads to strange behaviours, because the release rate keeps its “patched” value forever…

0 Likes

Thanks, I’ll get this sorted out.

0 Likes