I got a bug report from a client stating that parameter automation for my plugin does not work in Sound Forge Pro Mac 3. So, I did some testing myself and could indeed confirm the following:
- the VST version does work (parameter automation curves are respected and applied)
- the AU version does not work (you can draw curves for the parameters, but the values are never actually changing when applying the curves)
So, I did some further testing with the example audio plugins from JUCE itself:
- Tried with JUCE’s AudioPluginDemo AU version (JUCE 5.4.1 master branch of 2018-11-15) and it loads, but automation is not working either (this is the version of JUCE my latest build uses).
- Tried with JUCE’s AudioPluginDemo AU version (JUCE 5.4.3 master branch of 2019-05-30) and that AU did not get loaded by SoundForge Pro (doesn’t show up in its AU plugin list).
- Tried with JUCE’s AudioPluginDemo AU version (JUCE 5.4.3 develop branch of 2019-06-28) and that AU did not get loaded by SoundForge Pro (doesn’t show up in its AU plugin list).
- Tried with Apple’s AUDelay plugin and parameter automation is working for that one.
I already quickly tried debugging with the version of JUCE my latest release is using (so 5.4.1 master of 2018-11-15), and when I set a breakpoint in the processor’s setParameter method, it doesn’t get hit when I playback the audio with the automation curves active. With the VST version the breakpoint does get hit.
Has anyone seen similar issues with Sound Forge Pro Mac 3 (and with AU versions specifically)? Is there a known issue with the JUCE AU wrapper in SF Pro Mac?
In the meantime, I’ve also submitted a technical support request to MAGIX about this issue, and included a link to this thread.