Bugs, drawbacks and suggestions…

Hi Julian!
Please, do not let these bugs and drawbacks migrate into the next JUCE release.

[list][color=darkred]1.[/color] The TextEditor component does not allow input non-English (tested on Cyrillic) characters under Linux. No characters displayed at all.[/list]

[list][color=darkred]2.[/color] Some JUCE string functions does not work with non-English (tested on Cyrillic) characters under both Windows and Linux (under MacOS X possibly too). I mean all functions that involve string casing (e.g. compareIgnoreCase, toUpperCase etc.). Consider using of more reliable locale aware OS system functions instead of ‘C’ runtime ones.[/list]

[list][color=darkred]3.[/color] The TextEditor component prints the whitespace character when the component is created to input a password. I mean that when TextEditor component is created to display some character instead of real ones it displays it but not for the whitespace character. The whitespace character is displayed as whitespace character. All characters must be hidden with no exceptions. This must be corrected as soon as possible. That’s what I’m talking about:
Note for all: use “[color=darkred]wchar_t(0x25CF)[/color]” to display a small black circle as the password character under Windows and Linux (MacOS X possibly too).[/list]

[list][color=darkred]4.[/color] JUCE does not correctly blends colors under Windows but perfectly does it under Linux. The same application was compiled under Windows Vista and Linux openSuSE 10.2 using the same compiler (GCC 4.1.2). But the application looks different. Here are two images displaying the Windows and Linux component’s rendering results:
Windows Vista:

Linux openSuSE 10.2:

See the greenish highlighted horizontal area at the center of the both images? This achieved by drawing the green semitransparent rectangle over the component’s children. Linux perfectly blends colors but Windows distorts them. Possibly it happens under Windows Vista only (Aero theme was turned off). If so, this is the very first issue concerning JUCE problems running under Windows Vista.[/list]

[list][color=darkred]5.[/color] You exposed the TabBarButton component in the JUCE framework but it is useless because programmers cannot override it and make the TabComponenet use it. Certainly, we can use ‘lookAndFeel’ to have custom drawn tab bar buttons but it is not suitable if we want to have some tabs drawn as a default “lookAndFeel” and some others as custom drawn ones. It would be handy to supply our custom TabBarButton component to TabComponent or even to supply a derived TabBarComponent to use it instead of the internal one.[/list]

[list][color=darkred]6.[/color] The JUCE framework has a few ways to manage the ScrollBarComponent look and positioning. Some components (not derived from the View component) do not allow pointing scroll bar size and position. There are no ways to get and restore the exact scroll bars position (e.g. ListBox component).[/list]

[list][color=darkred]7.[/color] It would be very handy to have some string function to split a string into substrings by a delimiter(s) (e.g. “1,2:3;4” might be split into StringArray(‘1’ ‘2’ ‘3’ ‘4’) using “,:;” characters as delimiters).[/list]

4: are you sure that’s not a vista driver bug, 'cos I alpha channel pretty much everything in my app, and haven’t seen bugs like that since JUCE 1.2.something (win/mac/linux).

7: StringArray::addTokens() ?

[quote=“valley”]4: are you sure that’s not a vista driver bug, 'cos I alpha channel pretty much everything in my app, and haven’t seen bugs like that since JUCE 1.2.something (win/mac/linux).[/quote] No, I’m not sure. But if you’re right then even worse. It’s the All Windows issue.

[quote=“valley”]7: StringArray::addTokens() ?[/quote] Hey! Thanks! You are right! :smiley:

Thanks for those points - I’ll see what I can do before the next release (which I wanted to get done last week but it seems to be getting further and further behind now…)

The blending is a bit strange though - what I suspect is some of the mmx blending code that’s different for gcc and msvc. Could you try building it without the JUCE_USE_SSE_INSTRUCTIONS flag enabled at the start of juce_LowLevelGraphicsSoftwareRenderer.cpp? I always use msvc which is fine, so I might have missed bugs in the gcc version.