Buildling JUCE Problem

Hi,

I’m new to JUCE. I’m having problems buildling using Xcode 2.4.1 on Mac OS X 10.4.11. I’m using JUCE 1.4.6.

I’m getting the following errors:

SDK package /MacOSX10.5.sdk does not exist
error: There is no SDK at specified SDKROOT path '/MacOSX10.5.sdk’
error: There is no SDK at specified SDKROOT path ‘/MacOSX10.5.sdk’

Are these errors due to JUCE 1.46 not being compatible with Mac OS X 10.4.11?

Is there an earlier version of JUCE that will build on my Mac?

Or is this another problem?

Cheers,

Chris

You probably just need to change the targets in the JUCE xcode project settings.

Thanks, that fixed the problem.

Cheers,

Chris

I’m also new to JUCE. I’m also using Xcode 2.4.1 on Mac OS X 10.4.11 using JUCE 1.4.6.

On the first attempt at building I got these errors:

SDK package /MacOSX10.5.sdk does not exist
error: There is no SDK at specified SDKROOT path '/MacOSX10.5.sdk’
error: There is no SDK at specified SDKROOT path ‘/MacOSX10.5.sdk’

I went into the file named juce.xcconfig if the targets folder which contains this:

ARCHS = i386 ppc

// These settings let you build for compatibility with 10.3 onwards.

MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET_ppc = 10.3
MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET = 10.4

// In XCode 3, this is the best SDK to use…
SDKROOT = $(DEVELOPER_SDK_DIR)/MacOSX10.5.sdk

// (if you’re building in XCode 2.5, you might need to use this line
// instead of the 10.5 line above…)
//SDKROOT = $(DEVELOPER_SDK_DIR)/MacOSX10.4u.sdk

A quick look in my SDK folder showed me that the folder MacOSX10.5.sdk doesn’t exist but the folder MacOSX10.4u.sdk does exist! Therefore I commented out this line:
//SDKROOT = (DEVELOPER_SDK_DIR)/MacOSX10.5.sdk and then uncommented the line: SDKROOT = (DEVELOPER_SDK_DIR)/MacOSX10.4u.sdk

When I tried to rebuild I got exactly the same error except MacOSX10.5.sdk had been replaced with MacOSX10.4u.sdk. This confused me as it does exist!

After this I decided to comment both of these lines out. When I built again it looked very promising and began compiling source files. However it gave me 64 warnings and 16 errors! Errors including:

error: ‘z_Byte’ does not name a type
error: expected ‘;’ before ‘’ token
error: expected ‘;’ or ‘…’ before '
’ token
error: ‘structMIDIPacket’ has no member named ‘data’

and so on.

Can someone tell me what I’m doing wrong as I am only trying to compile the ‘Hello World’ program from the example projects folder where there shouldn’t be any errors!

Any advice would be very welcome.

Thanks

[quote=“hubblemp3”]

… However it gave me 64 warnings and 16 errors! Errors including:

error: expected ‘;’ before ‘’ token
error: expected ‘;’ or ‘…’ before '
’ token
error: ‘structMIDIPacket’ has no member named ‘data’

and so on.

Can someone tell me what I’m doing wrong as I am only trying to compile the ‘Hello World’ program from the example projects folder where there shouldn’t be any errors!

Any advice would be very welcome.

Thanks[/quote]

I have the same problem and I am completely new to JUCE. Would really appreciate some help.

Thanks

Has any one been able to solve this problem! I cannot build the example demo, gives me the same errors? Im using OS 10.5.3 with xcode 3.1

What version are you using? Is it the 1.46 download or the SVN tip?

I’m using version 1.46… This is very frustrating neither the 1.46 or the SVN tip compile!! I have tried both. Im getting 56 warnings, mainly related to the quickdrawAPI.h and 16 errors related to z_Byte and MidiPacket.

Are you perhaps using an old version of xcode? I’ve been compiling with v3 for a while now.

If you’re getting those errors with 10.5 and xcode 3, I’d suggest checking your targets very carefully. A clean 10.5 and xcode install gave me a few headaches as a bunch of defaults now attempt to link against 10.5 only. It’s very easy to inadvertently mix and match SDKs with xcode/OSX, and xcode doesn’t really find it all that endearing when one does.

[quote=“valley”]
If you’re getting those errors with 10.5 and xcode 3, I’d suggest checking your targets very carefully. A clean 10.5 and xcode install gave me a few headaches as a bunch of defaults now attempt to link against 10.5 only. It’s very easy to inadvertently mix and match SDKs with xcode/OSX, and xcode doesn’t really find it all that endearing when one does.[/quote]

i’ve checked the target ( VST on OSX 10.5 using xcode 3 ) and everything seems pointed to the 10.5 sdk but im still getting those z_byte errors.

i’ve hardly used the xcode for anything else on this imac.

i downloaded juce a few days ago ( friday i believe ) and am trying to get the VST plugin demo working ( on osx 10.5 )

any suggestions ? i’m stuck…

[quote=“valley”]
If you’re getting those errors with 10.5 and xcode 3, I’d suggest checking your targets very carefully.[/quote]

what sort of things should i check specifically wr to the target? i cant see anything obvious. all im doing is attempting to build the JuceVST example as downloaded - in xcode 3. its a virtually new imac, only used once on another totally unrelated project.

I’m using Xcode Version 3.1, osX 10.5.3

I was wondering if anyone has been able to find a solution to this, Im still getting the same errors in juce_LibrarySource.mm

error: 'z_Byte' does not name a type error: expected ';' before '*' token error: 'z_Byte' does not name a type error: expected ';' or '...' before '*' token error: 'structMIDIPacket' has no member named 'data'

In the past I had no problems building the mac project samples.

please check the target and see SDK Path, it should be the location where SDK is installed and remove juce.xcconfig file from the project it should help
regards,
vishvesh

I have checked the sdk path its pointing to where the SDK is installed, but still not building. Tried removing the juce.xcconfig but still no go (Same errors)

Please see my post on this thread. Might help

I have the same problem with z_Byte does not name a type. Does anyone know what type it is supposed to be? Maybe we can just typedef it.

I have gotten JUCE to compile with x-code now. There was a lot of re-writing the code to get here, but now it works. I can’t figure out how to post a *.tgz file on here, so if anyone wants it, please feel free to email me at sean.mcguffee@gmail.com.

Now I’m trying to convert from x-code IDE to NetBeans IDE, and that is having some trouble with objective c+ and/or c++. Does anyone know how to deal with those issues?

I find this odd. Since Juce has worked perfectly in my xocde for a year or so, I suspect that some mix of older juce and/or older xcode is leading to these problems. Notably, I see ‘a lot of code changes’ and my skin crawls - that’s a bit of a losing battle, maintaining a whole set of fixes that probably aren’t needed.

I added a topic to the main forum that hopefully might help to address the problem?

Bruce

it turns out I finally can get it to compile in NetBeans using g++ and -ObjC++. I had missed the ++ before. Anyway, I’ll go check out that other link because this version isn’t perfect. If anyone want’s my version, you can email me: sean.mcguffee@gmail.com.