Button::onClick

Just a heads-up that I’m adding a couple of new helper objects: Button::onClick and Button::onStateChange, which were an experiment in finding an easy way to attach lambdas to event callbacks. I did a quick whizz through the codebase to change a load of example code to use them, so you can take a look at how much it simplifies the code - in almost every case it was shorter, cleaner and nicer to use than Button::Listener.

Since I’m pleased with the result, I’ll roll out some more use of this style for other classes as we go on - requests for which ones you want added are welcome!

Should all be up on the develop branch shortly…

Wait, was this quote of mine meant to go here?

oh, how odd… I had two windows open… must have got mixed up!

And sorry - scratch the bit about a new class called EventHandler… Just spotted a flaw in that idea which makes it no easier than using std::function directly, which I will do…

we love lambdas!

You can add lambda for Timer and AsyncUpdater as well so it remove the need to inherit and allow multiple of those in a single class :slight_smile:

Thanks !

Timer lambda exists as callAfterDelay:

https://juce.com/doc/classTimer#ae7100e8b84d2a8d6adac3d14cbbd27d6

AsyncUpdater doesn’t really make sense when it comes to lambdas because the point is to have a single method (handleAsyncUpdate) that gets marked as needing to be called. If you’re looking for a method that is “call this lambda on the message thread at some async point in the future” look at MessageManager::callAsync. Just be aware that unlike AsyncUpdater it allocates on the message queue, so it’s not safe to call from a high priority thread.

I think the two use cases requested here are different from Timer:: callAfterDelay and MessageManager::callAsync. Both of these are single trigger, deferred callbacks.

A LambdaTimer would be used to repeatedly call a lambda at a specific interval, a LambdaAsyncUpdater would be used to coalesce multiple calls in to a single callback. I gave examples with code of both in my ADC 2016 presentation: on pages 19 and 22 respectively.

class LambdaTimer   : public juce::Timer
{
public:
    LambdaTimer() = default;

LambdaTimer (std::function<void()> newCallback)
    {
        callback = std::move (newCallback);
    }

LambdaTimer& setCallback (std::function<void()> newCallback)
    {
        callback = std::move (newCallback);
        return *this;
    }

void timerCallback() override
    {
        if (callback)
            callback();
    }

private:
    std::function<void()> callback;
};

//==============================================================================
/**
    Asyncronously call a function.
 */
struct LambdaAsyncUpdater  : public juce::AsyncUpdater
{
    /** Creates an empty LambdaAsyncUpdater. */
    LambdaAsyncUpdater() = default;

/** Destructor. */
    ~LambdaAsyncUpdater()
    {
        cancelPendingUpdate();
    }

/** Sets the function to call. */
    LambdaAsyncUpdater& setFunction (std::function<void()> f)
    {
        function = std::move (f);
        return *this;
    }

/** @internal. */
    void handleAsyncUpdate() override
    {
        jassert (function);
        function();
    }

std::function<void()> function;
};

So, does this mark the death of the whole Listener design being used in JUCE?
relevant threads:

Aha, similar to the class I posted the other day:

No - we’ll leave the listeners in there because sometimes you need to attach multiple listeners or to a component, or manage adding/removing them in more complex situations. But for the 95% of normal situations where you just need to attach one quick, simple callback to something like a button, this pattern makes the code much simpler.

an interesting design for this would be that the lambda can be a proxy listener list if you require multiple listeners. The lambda can capture the previous lambda and call it as well as the new one.

Here is a design which combines Listeners & Lambdas, best of two worlds:

perhaps we could attach a lambda to the ChangeBroadcaster, so that we don’t have to inherits ChangeListener every time?

And with multiple listeners? You may override accidentally other “listeners” with this approach.

Here is another approach: