Can the AudioProcessorGraph please get some love and attention

The AudioProcessorGraph works well… but its sort algorithm needs some serious attention… and it still doesn’t support (or handle) feedback connections. I’ve posted on this in the past and I’ve got some workarounds to deal with the feedback issue… but if I have a lot of Aux Tracks the logic to build the UI to avoid any feedbacks requires a lot of recursion so really slows down preset reloading… and even in a Mixer with a lot of nodes, switching an Aux send from Pre to Post requires changing the nodes… which causes the graph to be recalculated and sorted. There also seems to be no way to chain graphs to minimize the aforementioned issues.

I’ve previously posted a thread on adding some PDC functionality to the graph as well:

… and of course… making it thread safe would be great!

Now that you’ve released JUCE 5 and you’re going to have all that free time… I thought this would be the perfect time to broach this subject again :slight_smile:

Cheers,

Rail

2 Likes

JUCE team, this sounds like it would be a nice addition to go with that DSP module

How would the feedback work exactly?

1 Like

It’s discussed in the previous thread linked in the original post.

Feedback loops are commonly used for ping pong delays.

Rail

1 Like

Yeah, that’s a bad idea. If you wanted to have feedback, what is the granularity? Whatever you decide, you will end up with lots of overhead and more or less destroy any performance you may want to have.
In Audio ToolKit, I forbid feedback for exactly this reason, you can’t have everything, or you use a JIT to recompile your process module itself on the fly, and that’s called Reaktor (and it has its own caveats).

Try to work out a different architecture that doesn’t have feedback loops.

1 Like

My current implementation doesn’t allow feedback loops…

but it has to check recursively through all the graph connections if an Aux Track Input is changed to update the Aux Sends’ states on Aux Tracks.

Rail

Oh, sorry, I misunderstood then.
Having to recursively traverse the graph to find loops is complex, unfortunately :frowning:

If, at a minimum, we could chain AudioProcessorGraphs, I could have a separate graph for each track and that would reduce the number of nodes and connections that need to be sorted when only changing something on one track… which would help alleviate a lot of my issues.

Cheers,

Rail