Cannot validate/run plugin built on OSX 10.10 in OSX 10.8

Hi all,

I know this problem has affinity to a lot of posts on this forum, and I have trawled around - my problem persists.

With the newest JUCE distribution, I introjuced an AU which compiles, validates with auval 1.6.1a1 and runs in AULab 2.2.1 on OSX 10.10.2. The plugin is an aumu instrument, behaves nicely, receives MIDI and sounds awesome. All wrapped up and good to go, I installed it in my studio on a machine running OSX 10.8.2 with Logic Pro 9.1.8.

auval -a (1.6.1a1) does not list my plugin

opening AU manager in logic, my plugin is listed with the message "Couldn't be opened" in the Compatibility column. Forcing validation, I get the stuff pasted below.

Any hints? The problem is the same for debug and release build, deployment target is 10.4.

Any help is massively appreciated!!

--------------------------------------------------
VALIDATING AUDIO UNIT: 'aumu' - 'Gred' - 'Amyg'
Manufacturer String: Amygdala Studios
AudioUnit Name: Gread
Component Version: 1.0.0 (0x10000)
* * PASS
TESTING OPEN TIMES:
COLD:
2015-04-22 20:01:38.455 auvaltool[26278:f07] CFBundle 0x7f7ff3609730 </Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components/Gread.component> (bundle, not loaded): cannot load bundle: The bundle “Gread” couldn’t be loaded.
FATAL ERROR: OpenAComponent: result: -1,0xFFFFFFFF

validation result: couldn't be opened

If you need your binary to run on older versions of OSX, you need to set the "compatibility version" setting to whatever version you're targeting.

Thank you! Reading your reply, I was first at a loss, because I already checked the deployment target to 10.4 - but lo, it was the MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET_ppc... I am such a dunce...

So, compatibility version and deployment target set, everything works. Thanks again, I think this thread has all the relevant keywords in it for later searching and browsing - case closed :)

To make sure your plugin is really compatible to an older version of OS X, you should use an older SDK aswell (not only set the deployment target). even if your target version is set to 10.8 your plugin might call functions that might not be availible under 10.8. 

this might help you to extract and install sdks from older xcode versions:

http://devernay.free.fr/hacks/xcodelegacy/

At one point you might also need an older Core Audio SDK, but I think that not the case with 10.8.