Debug of "Hello World"" / SimpleProject - extreme CPU - Please help

Hello guys, I have an issue time inside the VS, When I debug the code ( with no issues on code ) it appears to be very laggy and slow, I searched all over the internet and found that this was hapenning to a lot of people that had previous versions of VS studio. I have the latests updates of VS Studio 2019 and Juce framework. any advice please on why this is happening?

My system is Win 10 - i5 4570 - GPC: GTX-1060 - 16GB RAM

What I have come up until now…

according to the tutorial and according to the code is everything as mented to be, I was searhing for this and found that if you change something on the Linker the problem is solved but in VS19 theres nowhere this option, on settings and I think I do not need it, I am wondering as I have same issue when I was trying to use the debug version of “Hello World” on the DAW and it was loading crazy ammount of cpu, and then I tried the Release version in the DAW and was working just fine. So I suspect the issue is somewhere in the debugger of VS19… if you can thing any alternative of this issue please let me know so I can search for…

I tried changing the Tools - Options- Enviroment and uncheck the Auto visual experience but this also does not work… the only thing that works is a weird “bug combo of things” I found make the cpu spikes and the lag kind of disapear.
I find only one possible way to kind of “fix” the issue

1. When I Debug in Debug Mode x64 the Plugin_VTS3(solution) inside VS19 the plugin Lags and use huge amounts of cpu…
  2. Just after this I swith the debug mode in Release mode to the Plugin_VTS3(solution) and I get an error message that I cannot run VTS3 win32 file directly(reasonable)…
  3. and now after this error message I instantly turn the Release Mode to Debug Mode and run Start a new instance on Plugin_VST3(solution) it compliles without errors and the issue with the cpu usage and lags disapears. Really weird and confusing any thoughs?

Before any action a normal fresh start on
Debug Mode : Screen capture - 1edca85bb23d9e38d1e5d50c48760ee0 - Gyazo

and after I do the thing I am talking about in

Debug mode also: Screen capture - e57a48e2e83375c3e94a0b91069fe0b6 - Gyazo
Thanks a lot for everyone taking the time to see this huge message, sorry if I am wrong or something is against your rules you can delete it. But if someone knows please advice is really strange!

Last one… I tried to export a Release x64 of the plugin and import it in the DAW… The Audio and the Cpu working almost perfect (no cpu usage at all, no Audio crackles or noises) but the plug-in is very laggy… Screen capture - f019c8d79f97ed293388eaa92688d022 - Gyazo

Other tests:

This is a Debug version of “Hello World”

Visual Studio was updated in November 2021 to a 64 bit app, with version 2022. Before that, MSVS 2019 and earlier were 32 bit apps.

Why not use the latest tooling for development?

And 16 Gb is maybe not enough - for my projects I really had to upgrade my machine to 36 Gb, otherwise compiling/building was too slow.

Hello, thanks for taking the time, I tried also VS22 but I had the same problems…

You have a point for the RAM, but it is normal for a simple “Hello World” or a simpleEQ project this kind of issues?

Programs in debug mode are always using a lot more CPU power and are thus slower than release versions. But the lagginess in your screen captures is certainly not OK.
I also use medium-level laptop, and can assure you that similar functionality in my plugins runs very fast and responsive, also in debug mode.
Are you sure this is without serious processing?
Are the Juce demos also this “laggy”?

Also check for external reasons:
A lot of Chrome/browser tabs can cost you memory and CPU and some “simple” tools, like Evernote, can slow down your computer significantly

Yes… even the demo “Hello World”" check out this madness…

This is a Debug version of “Hello World”

Screen capture - 748b4059bf36d1c4e5016d2642aee3e3 - Gyazo

thanks a lot again, I really appreciate your reply, as I suffer with issue in my first steps and is really time and brain consuming… I have spend 4 days on this searching try and error every posible way I can find or think of.

I even tried a clean install on my Windows 10 . lol

Ram isn’t an issue. My Mac only has 8gb of ram and I have zero issues with it.

Can you try the AudioPluginDemo?

Which version of JUCE are you working with?

Oli

Hello, thanks for answering, really.
I just tried your advice and unfortunately, same issue… with a clean install of VS19 fresh restarted the pc and numerous other possibls ways I have try along with to fix this issue…
Check this crazy thing…

I am using Juce 6.1.6

Any other ideas?

Are you using a fresh copy of JUCE? No modifications to the source?

Do you still experience poor performance when using the standalone format?

Yes I reinstalled everything , i had same problem with the fresh copy from juce.com and from githubs ( according to the tutorial of SimpleEQ from matkatmusic )

The standalone Release versions works fine. Very laggy in the Daw though.

I can’t repro your issue. I installed VS 2019 and built the AudioPluginDemo with 6.1.6 and experienced no issues.

It looks like it could be driver/hardware related. Do you have another machine you can test on?

Have you tried with the video capture software completely switched off?
I get the feeling there must be an external reason.

Hello, this is not a video capture software , is like a screenshot external to the broswer, not a big deal.

I have tried something I resized the window to a smaller one and seems that the things are really better, maybe this give us a clue??

But still crashes inside the DAW…:confused:

This issue has got me crazy, I don’t know what to do, so I can move on!

I believe is something external too, but I cant thing or check or search for something!

And this bug I replicate?? Isn’t it so crazy??

I tried changing the Tools - Options- Enviroment and uncheck the Auto visual experience but this also does not work… the only thing that works is a weird “bug combo of things” I found make the cpu spikes and the lag kind of disapear.
I find only one possible way to kind of “fix” the issue

1. When I Debug in Debug Mode x64 the Plugin_VTS3(solution) inside VS19 the plugin Lags and use huge amounts of cpu…
  2. Just after this I swith the debug mode in Release mode to the Plugin_VTS3(solution) and I get an error message that I cannot run VTS3 win32 file directly(reasonable)…
  3. and now after this error message I instantly turn the Release Mode to Debug Mode and run Start a new instance on Plugin_VST3(solution) it compliles without errors and the issue with the cpu usage and lags disapears. Really weird and confusing any thoughs?

Before any action a normal fresh start on
Debug Mode : Screen capture - 1edca85bb23d9e38d1e5d50c48760ee0 - Gyazo

and after I do the thing I am talking about in

Debug mode also: Screen capture - e57a48e2e83375c3e94a0b91069fe0b6 - Gyazo