Default location of AU plug-ins

Hi Jules,
I’m building an AU host and was a little baffled of the “default location of AU plug-in”. Can you explain
where the default AU plug-ins are located, and how it’s resolved in the scanning process?

Thanks!

Good question - I don’t think I ever found the location of the built-in AU files!

The thing about AUs is that they’re found by ID, not by file, so no need to give a default location.

I find mine in
/Users/yourname/LibraryAudio/Plug-Ins/Components/
to install for all users, use
/LibraryAudio/Plug-Ins/Components/

A quick google search reveals that this seems to be a default place. But I guess, you knew that already.

[quote=“StrangeMan”]I find mine in
/Users/yourname/LibraryAudio/Plug-Ins/Components/
to install for all users, use
/LibraryAudio/Plug-Ins/Components/

A quick google search reveals that this seems to be a default place. But I guess, you knew that already.[/quote]Hmm, yes, that I knew, but looking in these directories I will find none of the built-in Apple AU’s. I’m running 10.7.4

But if it is like Jules says, that they are found by ID, and not by path, the path is irrelevant, although they have to be registered somewhere at some point.

[quote=“jules”]Good question - I don’t think I ever found the location of the built-in AU files!

The thing about AUs is that they’re found by ID, not by file, so no need to give a default location.[/quote]
So how does the juce host work when it enumerates specific directories?

Edit - ignore that. I can find them… but I couldn’t earlier. Doh !?

[quote=“Mike”][quote=“jules”]Good question - I don’t think I ever found the location of the built-in AU files!

The thing about AUs is that they’re found by ID, not by file, so no need to give a default location.[/quote]
So how does the juce host work when it enumerates specific directories?

Edit - ignore that. I can find them… but I couldn’t earlier. Doh !?[/quote]
Let me explain this confusion. I first said my AU host could not find AU’s in a specified folder, although they where there.
Then all of a sudden I COULD enumerate them…

The reason was the plugins where 32 bit only, and my host was running as a 64 bit process. Then after running it as a 32 bit
process, they plug-ins can obviously be enumerated.