Default VST Plugin Folder Location(s)

Hi Jules,

When attempting in using the juce::VSTPluginFormat::getDefaultLocationsToSearch(), I noticed it’s giving me a non-existent folder.

The reason being; on 32-bit Windows boxes, the default VST folder location is the following (assumes Windows is installed on drive C:) (see the note):

On 64-bit Windows boxes, the default VST folder locations are:

As per your code, the path to a default folder is the following on my current 64-bit machine: “C:\Program Files (x86)\Steinberg\VstPlugins” (a folder which does not exist). (I’ve only been working with free, copy/pasta, plugins - no installation files… so I don’t even have a Steinberg registry or folder.)

Note: This applies to Win7 and Win8 (and would assume Vista too). Was empirically tested by checking out the settings of the DAWs I use (fresh installations - therefore defaulted folder locations).

Perhaps a better approach would be something like this (although wouldn’t necessarily cover 64-bit plugs, for when that day comes!):

FileSearchPath VSTPluginFormat::getDefaultLocationsToSearch()
{
   #if JUCE_MAC
    return FileSearchPath ("~/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST;/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST");
   #elif JUCE_LINUX
    return FileSearchPath ("/usr/lib/vst");
   #elif JUCE_WINDOWS
    FileSearchPath defaultVSTPaths;

const String programFiles (File::getSpecialLocation (File::globalApplicationsDirectory).getFullPathName());

defaultVSTPaths.add (WindowsRegistry::getValue ("HKLM\\Software\\VST\\VSTPluginsPath",
                                                      programFiles + "\\Steinberg\\VstPlugins"));

defaultVSTPaths.add (WindowsRegistry::getValue ("HKLM\\Software\\VST\\VSTPluginsPath",
                                                      programFiles + "\\VstPlugins"));

defaultVSTPaths.removeNonExistentPaths();

jassert (defaultVSTPaths.getNumPaths() > 0); //There are no VST plugin folders on this machine...

return defaultVSTPaths;
   #endif
}

Good idea, thanks, I’ll take a look at that!

On Windows this should distinguish between 32-bit/32-bit, 64-bit/32-bit and 64-bit/64-bit OS/host as the program files path and registry needs to be different (“normal” / WOW registry & the (x86) appendix in the program files path).

Chris

[quote=“ckk”]On Windows this should distinguish between 32-bit/32-bit, 64-bit/32-bit and 64-bit/64-bit OS/host as the program files path and registry needs to be different (“normal” / WOW registry & the (x86) appendix in the program files path).

Chris[/quote]

Sure, but that’s why it uses File::getSpecialLocation (File::globalApplicationsDirectory). Windows will supply the location that’s right for the app that calls it.