Disaster recovery and long term development strategy

“move implementations to CPP” sounds like pure lust :smiley:

1 Like

Back on topic:

I use Carbon Copy Cloner to back up my Mac. For me it’s pretty important; although all my code is under remote version control I have at least 5 DAWs licensed and configured for testing natively, and three VMs with about the same in each. Getting all this infrastructure back manually after a crash would take days. If you do local CCC backup then you can boot straight back into a clone of your machine from an external disk in an emergency, or if you do a remote backup (I prefer to schedule automatic remote backups) then you can just restore your disk contents from a disk image using OS X recovery.

1 Like

I wish there would be cool c++ refactoring tools for XCode like Visual Assist or Resharper, or are there existing ones? Did anyone tried Appcode (which seems to be a separate IDE, but works together with XCODE) ?

1 Like

Yes - tried AppCode was still at the pain-in-the-arse stage for JUCE projects. We had a bit of a campaign to get a JUCE -> AppCode exporter … but for some reason I can’t remember (maybe Jules loathes CMAKE) that didn’t take off :slight_smile:

Maybe things have moved on …

I’m using AppCode now. It’s mostly good (+ has a great VIM emulator), although it still comes up with phantom errors and warnings here and there but I can live with it. I still use Xcode for debugging. AppCode has some nice refactoring and code-generating tools, similar to Resharper e.g:

1 Like

[quote=“zioaxiom, post:1, topic:21262”]
If I have to get another Mac, it’ll be a 2012 Mac Pro since the new one are basically luxury furniture and if anything goes wrong I can’t simply replace a bank of RAM or a faulty disk drive. It’ll be an already 5 years old machine equipped with a fairly old technology… USB 2.0 and so on.
[/quote]You’re not alone, a lot of people I talk and work with are in agony because there’s not really a usable line of development/workstation-ish from Apple anymore, nor server lines. Yes, you can use the laptops (I do) but they’re not really that powerful compared to a fat workstation, and if you actually push them they get so hot they throttle the CPU. This isn’t even considering the ridiculous price/performance ratio.

I use the Mac Pro 2012 as you mentioned at home, beefed with 32 gb ram, 1060 nvidia card, ssd, dual xeons etc. but yes it is showing it’s age, primarily due to only supporting 7 year old CPUs. I got it for free - except for the extensions I carefully chose such that they can transition into the next computer - so I don’t mind, but it’s not gonna last more than a year or two and I wouldn’t invest in it. Apparently there aren’t even drivers, and there probably won’t be, for never nvidia cards (mine included) which is horrifying.

[quote=“zioaxiom, post:1, topic:21262”]
Switching to Windows is something I’m thinking about. Windows 10 Pro looks stable enough, although thinking about taking care once again of drivers, latency and all those quirks makes my spine chill in a very bad way.
[/quote]Come on, I can’t remember the last time I had a driver problem on Windows. It is actually the complete contrary situation as mentioned, it’s the Apple side of things that are far behind with drivers…

Asio allows to run lowest latency on any sound card, and it’s a requirement for pretty much any DAW so I don’t really see the problem…

Whether you like visual studio or xcode is mostly a religious thing, but rest assured you can easily debug and profile in visual studio, and as mentioned, there are great extension tools for xcode.

1 Like

I’d personally stick with Mac only because my compile times on Windows (even with IncrediBuild) are horrendous when building protection builds. You’d think Microsoft could create a threaded 64 bit development tool.

Oh god they take soooo long! It drives me nuts! I always get everything working on Mac first before I think about windows protected builds.