Do you preemptively submit installers for whitelisting to anti-virus software companies?

Hey everyone,

Would you like to share what is your release procedure, specifically concerning false-positives on your installers (or executables in general) of anti-virus software?

Do you submit for whitelisting, where and how long before release do you do that?

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,
Nikolay

We don’t and never have. Only heard of a couple of instances and we simply told customers to pause their AV during installation.

2 Likes

Interesting. Thanks for the input.

One of my beta testers reported that my (code signed) Windows installer was flagged by their Avast antivirus. I preemptively whitelisted my release installer with Avast. Probably unnecessary, but the process of requesting developer access for the purpose of whitelisting was very straightforward. They give you an FTP account, and files you upload there are automatically scanned and whitelisted.

(not an answer to your question) In an effort to be racially sensitive, people are beginning to use terms like allowlist/safelist and blocklist/denylist.

5 Likes

Good call - thanks for the reminder. Old habits…

Out of interest, as there doesn’t seem to be a connection of the term to any racial context, where did this effort originate from?

Wikipedia: " Despite its origins and etymology, many incorrectly assume that the term has racial undertones, leading to controversies surrounding its usage. [7]"*

1 Like

OT since many bring it in connection with black=bad, I think that’s reason enough to improve the language where possible…
That doesn’t make anyone racist who used/uses that term.
Sometimes it matters more, what language effects than where the origin is from.
Who cares what the correct etymology is?

4 Likes

From my experience it comes from old American cowboy movies. In those movies the good guys tend to wear white hats, and the bad guys tend to wear black hats. And that is also where the references to “black hat hackers” and “white hat hackers” come from.

2 Likes

This is my understanding as well. I do some work in security & have never heard anyone use any terms but these. If there are people who find them to be insensitive, perhaps it is time that we reconsider the terms.

It’s not just black/white-lists, the moves some are making include avoiding things like master/slave too. I first came across it when Apple announced changes to their style guide (example).

2 Likes