DSP module breaks compilation on Linux

Hi,

I’ve just included the dsp module into my project and it seems that the jmax macros for the SIMD types break compilation because they expand calls to jmax<int64> to a SIMD call (the actual compiler error is a forward declaring issue because it can’t resolve NativeOps::SimdType<long long int> or some weird rocketscience stuff.

Commenting out these lines at the end of juce_dsp/containers/juce_SIMDRegister.h fixes the error:

// Extend some common used global functions to SIMDRegister types
template <typename Type>
inline dsp::SIMDRegister<Type> JUCE_VECTOR_CALLTYPE jmin (dsp::SIMDRegister<Type> a, dsp::SIMDRegister<Type> b) { return dsp::SIMDRegister<Type>::min (a, b); }
template <typename Type>
inline dsp::SIMDRegister<Type> JUCE_VECTOR_CALLTYPE jmax (dsp::SIMDRegister<Type> a, dsp::SIMDRegister<Type> b) { return dsp::SIMDRegister<Type>::max (a, b); }

This is only happening on Linux though. Is there are smarter solution than to remove these lines?

Thanks - yep, we’ll get this fixed asap!

Hi @chrisboy2000, can you let me know which compiler and compiler version you are using. I can’t really see anything wrong with that line.

Fabian

GCC 5.4.0 on Ubuntu 16.04

This is the (cleaned) error message:

/juce_dsp/containers/juce_SIMDRegister.h: In instantiation of ‘struct juce::dsp::SIMDRegister<long long int>’:

hi_streaming/hi_streaming/MonolithAudioFormat.h:402:77:   recursively required by substitution of ‘template<class Type> juce::dsp::SIMDRegister<Type> juce::jmax(juce::dsp::SIMDRegister<Type>, juce::dsp::SIMDRegister<Type>) [with Type = long long int]’

juce_dsp/containers/juce_SIMDRegister.h:84:43: error: invalid use of incomplete type ‘struct juce::dsp::SIMDNativeOps<long long int>’ typedef typename NativeOps::vSIMDType vSIMDType;
                                          ^

The code in MonolithAudioFormat.h uses something like jmax<int64>(int64 v1, int64 v2) which seems to be expanded to a SIMD version of the jmax macro defined in the location shown above (maybe a vector of 4 shorts?). If I change the line to:

jmax<int>((int)int64Value1, (int)int64Value2);

so that the template argument is int, it compiles.

I also got reports of users not being able to compile this on macOS (so most probably clang), however my XCode didn’t complain.