Exception on OleInitialize(0)?

For some reason VC Express has just started throwing exceptions during the JUCE initialization stage when my app is starting up in the debugger.

It’s throwing out when calling OleInitialize(0) while trying to create the message manager.

I haven’t made changes to my code that should be in any way causing things to go south, and all of this is before my app is even really started, so I’m puzzled as to why it was working yesterday, but not today.

The release compile seems fine, as does the debug build when launched from outside of VC.

What’s going on?

Haven’t a clue! I sometimes get spurious exceptions when my code tries to load MS modules like an embedded IE window, but they’re just internal MS stuff that doesn’t do any harm if you ignore them.

Well I’ve since noticed that all JUCE apps are triggering the same exception (JUCE Demo included) however, only a couple of apps are throwing to the debugger. For most you’d only notice the exceptions if you scroll all the way up VC’s event log when the app quits.

Why in one app that exception hits the debugger, and in others it just gets logged, I have no clue. That’s OK though 'cos I also have no clue why the exception is being thrown at all.

I’m busily rolling back through VM images to see if I can spot when it started, as it may actually have been happening for some time. I would never have noticed until the debugger started catching the exceptions directly.

I suspect something is hosed in my Windows install, which makes me sad.

Well I’ve since noticed that all JUCE apps are triggering the same exception (JUCE Demo included) however, only a couple of apps are throwing to the debugger. For most you’d only notice the exceptions if you scroll all the way up VC’s event log when the app quits.
Why in one app that exception hits the debugger, and in others it just gets logged, I have no clue. That’s OK though 'cos I also have no clue why the exception is being thrown at all.

I’m busily rolling back through VM images to see if I can spot when it started, as it may actually have been happening for some time. I would never have noticed until the debugger started catching the exceptions directly.

I suspect something is hosed in my Windows install, which makes me sad.

I’m at a loss for anything to suggest there… All I can think of is that maybe you’ve changed your include path order and are building using conflicting headers and libs?

dunno, but a reinstall cleaned it up. My guess is a corrupted dll somewhere, but I don’t really care, as long as it works again.