Fear of the DAWs

I work for an audio company and also have my own apps (for example on Google Play Store). On mobile stores people consider the review system as a bug report system. you can easily see reviews such as:
(1-star) not working! try to steal you credit card details.

For plug-ins I do read and handle some support. most people are very helpful.
You would need to keep some time of your “part-time” to do support and maintaining code if you’d like to keep good reputation.

Usually you’ll have:

• user reports an issue
    • option a: user fault. helping them resolves the issue. closed.

• option b: DAW issue that is impossible to fix. you and the user should contact the DAW developer. it might help. (on JUCE I remember 2 cases: 1. closing Cubase caused JUCE plug-ins to crash, 2. Ableton tempo change reported negative sample position). KEEP IN MIND THIS IS LESS COMMON

• option c (MOST COMMON): you do something that on the particular DAW happens on a different sequence.

• option d: JUCE issue. you reproduce it with a simple project or JUCE demo projects and report it on the forum, provide a pull-request or fix snippet, etc…

Example of common issues:

• Assuming your editor will have samplerate or some data based on prepareToPlay / processBlock on its creation.
  • Assuming all hosts provides a specific data (playback state, fps, program changes, etc)
  • Assuming the I/O of your plug-in won’t change on the fly.
  • Assuming some callback will be used each time playback starts

Suggested Precaution:

• Validate your plug-in thoroughly with auval and awesome pluginval.

• Make sure you keep symbols or mapping to symbols (pdb/dSYM/dwarf) so any logs from users would be helpful when needed.

7 Likes