Forum discussion

Since the Announced thread is locked, here is a new one.

I am not sure how easy it will be to prevent the common idiot from registering, they are not a script or whatnot after all. So what exactly are you changing? If you are adding in one of those pictures that have a blurred word or whatnot in them, many other forum’s have them built-in.

Also, instead of dealing with phpBB2, why not get a good forum, plenty of good ones out there, with upgrade paths from phpBB2. I’ve created mods and even submitted patches for many of them (even phpBB2 sad to say) so if you need help with any, just ask.

[quote=“OvermindDL1”]Since the Announced thread is locked, here is a new one.

I am not sure how easy it will be to prevent the common idiot from registering, they are not a script or whatnot after all. [/quote]

As far as I can tell, most of the traffic so far has been script generated.

Yeah, that one has been enabled. I personally find them annoying which is why I disabled it, but I find deleting 50 dummy accounts a week more annoying.

The impression I get is that the majority of these accounts are being created simply to sit in the memberlist with a web link in their profile. That’s why for the time being at least I am disabling websites in profiles.

In addition I’ve thrown is a few traps for obvious script registration attempts. I doubt they’ll prevent the serious spammers, but I can clean those up by hand.

[quote]
Also, instead of dealing with phpBB2, why not get a good forum, plenty of good ones out there, with upgrade paths from phpBB2. [/quote]

I’m used to this one, and honestly I’m to busy with work, school, and general house projects to be learning another one. :frowning:

I’m a little pissed I’m having to waste my time with this crud as it is. :roll:

Ah, orders of magnitude easier to block then people at least.

If generated by scripts then they shouldn’t notice it is disabled, which would not impact the amount of registerings.

[quote=“valley”]
I’m used to this one, and honestly I’m to busy with work, school, and general house projects to be learning another one. :frowning:

I’m a little pissed I’m having to waste my time with this crud as it is. :roll:[/quote]
Yea, I know how that is. I’ve had to put near all of my projects on absolute hold while dealing with the same issues. For web things, I had a nice little site building up nicely in python before I ran out of time. Wonderfully nicer then php now that I’ve actually learned it. :slight_smile:

At least until the skiddies start looking at the site to see why their script isn’t working, which brings us to:

No, but I don’t want to reward those that are successful, and for those that aren’t, if the spammers start looking to see what I’ve done, they may notice the fact that web addresses have also been disabled, and consider the fruit not juicy enough for the effort.

[quote]
Yea, I know how that is. I’ve had to put near all of my projects on absolute hold while dealing with the same issues. For web things, I had a nice little site building up nicely in python before I ran out of time. Wonderfully nicer then php now that I’ve actually learned it. :)[/quote]

I’m a huge fan of python! It’s the only scripting language that lends itself to projects where maintainability and group work are requirements, IMV.

Yea, my favorate language next to C++ now, I’ve been binding my C++ classes and programs into python using boost::python (so freakin easy binding). Makes testing things so much faster, and you know the old saying, the 90% of the code that is barely run, make it so you can program it fast (python side then), the 10% that is run often, optimize in whatever you can (C++/Assembly).

Hmm, making juce binding for python using boost::python would not be hard, I was able to wrap an old api with over a thousand functions in one evening a few weeks back, so Juce would probably only take a few days to do everything