Glitchy Playback on Linux / PulseAudio

When doing playback in a standalone version of a plugin on Linux with the audio device Playback/recording through the PulseAudio sound server, I usually get glitchy playback. There is a 1 in 10 chance playback starts normally. The only way so far I have found to resolve the issue is to start pavucontrol (volume app for PulseAudio) in a separate terminal after the plugin was started. This also only works half of the time.

If it does not work, or if pavucontrol was started before the plugin, I can see what I think is the issue: There is an ALSA plugin named ALSA plug-in [MyJucePlugin] which is popping in and out of existence multiple times per second.

I have encountered this issue on every distro I used (all Debian derivatives) and across a number of audio interfaces. I’ve been battling this issue pretty much the entire years I’ve been using JUCE. Plz halp.

I remember there being an older, possibly related post, but I can’t find it right now.

Sidenote: I know about JACK, and it has worked before for me. But it is very far from convenient to set up or use and hardly beginner friendly.