Hang in Windows UI call

Ok, I’m a bit lost here, maybe someone has an idea: I have an app (let’s call it app A) that loads plugins and communicates with another app (app B) via IPC. On Windows, app A attaches the editor of a loaded plugin to a HWND it obtains from app B. So far, so good.
Now, after a few seconds of turning knobs on the plugin UI, app A hangs, and I’ve narrowed it down to peerWindowProc (HWND h, UINT message, WPARAM wParam, LPARAM lParam) in juce_win32_Windowing.cpp, and specifically to the case when message == WM_SETCURSOR, in which case said function calls DefWindowProcW (h, message, wParam, lParam) which never returns (and since this is the message thread of app A, it also brings the interprocess connection to a halt). The call stack starts within the loaded plugin, so moving the mouse over its UI leads to passing that event to app A (the plugin host).
When I just add a line to JUCE to ignore the case “message == WM_SETCURSOR” everything works fine, but I don’t really want to do that without knowing what might be going on here. Any ideas?

I can’t see why DefWindowProc would hang as it just does the default processing for messages that aren’t handled by JUCE in peerWindowProc, such as WM_SETCURSOR. I’d be hesitant to just ignore the WM_SETCURSOR message and not pass it on to DefWindowProc but I don’t really know enough about the Windows message loop to say whether it could be catastrophic or not.

Can you try adding

case WM_SETCURSOR:
    return 0;

to the bottom of the switch statement in peerWindowProc in juce_win32_Windowing.cpp before the default case is handled and see if you app no longer hangs? This should narrow down whether it is the DefWindowProc call that is the issue.

Thanks for answering… I have now found out how the deadlock occurs: app B does an IPC sendMessage on its message thread and is waiting for an answer from app A. App A should receive the message on its message thread, but when a cursor move occurs over the editor of app A, Windows sends that WM_SETCURSOR message, also on the message thread, which, and here it comes, is being rerouted to app B because the editor of app A is attached to the window handle of app B. So both apps are stuck waiting for each other in their message thread.
It can be resolved by letting app A receive its IPC callbacks on a separate thread. So all is fine with JUCE, it’s just a peculiar situation, but in case anybody should ever stumble upon this, that’s how it works.