Hosting VST2 plugins under VST3 SDK/License

This is a two years old thread, but still relevant (unfortunately), so I hope no one will get offended if I post a reply here instead of creating a new thread. I already posted a similar thread, but I think this one is more suited for this.

From what I gather here are 4 possible solutions I can think of:

1. Like @dewdman42 suggests just publish VST2 versions and try not to loose a sleep about it. That is probably not as comfortable an option for host developers though…

2. Sue Steinberg over anti trust laws

3. Regroup with other developers and state the common decision of not supporting Cubase anymore in any of our plugins as long as Steinberg continues with this strategy. That would be pretty simple to do and would increase Steinberg’s bad rep in the general user base (currently limited to developers and a limited number of users aware of the situation). Strike!

4. Find a company with VST2/VST3 licenses that would accept to publish a set of very simple VST2/VST3 and VST3/VST2 wrapper plugins under its name, for free. They would benefit with good rep, and also an afflux of users on their website.

I think the Juce team would be the perfect perpetuator of option 4, as this would also benefit to the Juce framework itself, being able to build products targeting more end users.

2 Likes