How do I set the global JUCE path?

Hey guys, I’m just getting started and was wondering if someone could help me find a solution to an error message that pops up when I open Projucer. The message reads: “Your global JUCE path is invalid. This path is used to access JUCE examples and demo project - would you like to set it now?”.

The problem is, I would love to set it but unfortunately have no earthly idea how to do so. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

1 Like

menu “Projucer”->“Global Paths…”

thank you for responding! What path does it need to be set to so that I don’t run into any errors in the future???

well, obviously it depends where you installed juce and the various sdks.
commonly used paths are probably:
Windows:
Juce modules: C:\JUCE\modules
VST3 SDK: C:\SDKs\VST_SDK\VST3_SDK

OSX:
path to JUCE: ~/SDKs/JUCE
Juce modules: ~/SDKs/JUCE/modules
VST3 SDK: ~/SDKs/VST_SDK/VST3_SDK

but you can set it wherever you want.

1 Like

Thanks!

Thanks for your answer!
It helped me when launching “Projucer.app” for the first time (on a mac).

I would suggest the Juce developer team to be a little bit more precise in:

which says:
|JUCE Path|Description|
|Path to JUCE|Location of the JUCE library on your local system as an absolute or relative path.|

The “Location of the JUCE library” is not very clear for a mac user/developer like me.

If I understand correctly, the required “JUCE Path” is the directory containing:

• the application “Projucer.app” (which may appear as “Projucer”, depending on your Finder settings)
  • the “README.md” file,
  • the directories “modules”, “examples”, “extra”, etc.

Am I correct?

In my case, the place where I installed “Projucer.app” is “/Applications/JUCE-5.3.2”

It’s simply the path to wherever you downloaded JUCE - the location of Projucer.app has no bearing on it.

Perhaps we should make the difference between the two more clear. The Projucer is just a tool that helps you configure apps and plug-ins to use the JUCE library, the JUCE library is the collection of source code used when building your app or plug-in.

Hey t0m! Thank you for your quick answer!

Well… I’m a little bit confused.
When I download JUCE (for mac), I get a whole package.
And I’m just curious (if you mind) to understand what is what:

$ ls -l /Users/jack/Downloads/JUCE 
total 112
drwxr-xr-x@  3 jack  staff    102 10 mai 09:59 .github/
-rw-r--r--@  1 jack  staff   1298 10 mai 09:59 .gitignore
-rw-r--r--@  1 jack  staff  25046 10 mai 09:59 BREAKING-CHANGES.txt
-rw-r--r--@  1 jack  staff  18157 10 mai 09:59 ChangeList.txt
drwxr-xr-x@  3 jack  staff    102 10 mai 09:59 DemoRunner.app/
drwxr-xr-x@  3 jack  staff    102 10 mai 09:59 Projucer.app/
-rw-r--r--@  1 jack  staff   2667 10 mai 09:59 README.md
drwxr-xr-x@  6 jack  staff    204 10 mai 09:59 doxygen/
drwxr-xr-x@ 10 jack  staff    340 10 mai 09:59 examples/
drwxr-xr-x@ 10 jack  staff    340 10 mai 09:59 extras/
drwxr-xr-x@ 24 jack  staff    816 10 mai 09:59 modules/

Afaik:

• the “.git*” are for “git”, the version control tool.
  • The “.txt" and ".md” are text-based documentation.
  • The “Projucer.app” is the main starting point, the application to launch to create a new audio plug-in project, as described in the tutorial:
    JUCE: Tutorial: Projucer Part 1: Getting started with the Projucer
  • “doxygen” is for generating documentation.
  • “examples”, I suspect it should contain… examples (I didn’t try the “Open Example Project” button yet…).
  • “extras” contains mainly “*.jucer” files. The names seem to mean they are extra tools.
  • “modules” seem to be the main modules with the main source code.

In the “Global Paths…”, the “JUCE modules” path is clearly where it expects to find the modules. This is what you call “the JUCE library”, isn’t it?

And what is the purpose of the “Path to JUCE” variable?

The JUCE library path is the path where you downloaded JUCE to, in your case /Users/jack/Downloads/JUCE. You can move the Projucer.app into /Applications, however the Projucer is built in JUCE/extras/Projucer. Ideally create a link to the built application in your /Applications

ln -s /Users/jack/Downloads/JUCE/extras/Projucer/Builds/MacOSX/build/Debug/Projucer.app /Applications/

The location is totally up to you, but I would suggest to move it somewhere sensible in your home directory instead of Downloads :wink:

The JUCE library is updated using github, since that is the fastest way that bugfixes come to you.

Hope that helps

Thanks for your replies.
It’s clear enough now.