jassertfalse hit when JucePlugin_MaxNumInputChannels==0?

Hi,

This happens with latest tip, under Linux, when compiling an audio plugin with the standalone wrapper: stdout is spammed with the message

“JUCE Assertion failure in /home/johannes/code/juce-git/src/audio/dsp/juce_AudioSampleBuffer.cpp, line 82”

Only happens with the Standalone wrapper, not with the VST wrapper.

In my JucePluginCharacteristics.h, JucePlugin_MaxNumInputChannels is #defined as 0, and JucePlugin_IsSynth as 1. When I #define JucePlugin_MaxNumInputChannels 2, problem goes away.

Is it illegal to have zero input channels? I thought it would be logical for a synth. I’m not processing any audio input, only generating output.

Another (unrelated) problem with latest tip is that Linux GUI programs use 100% CPU after a while. There seems to be some kind of short-circuit in message processing. I’ll post about this later when/if I find out more.

I know that Jules is on holiday so I’m not expecting the usual immediate fix :slight_smile:

Have you got a stack trace for that? I can’t see where it might be getting called from…

Stacktrace:

#0 ( 0x0012d422 in __kernel_vsyscall() (??:??) #1 0x55d7a6 kill() (/lib/tls/i686/cmov/libc.so.6:??) #2 0x8074979 AudioSampleBuffer(this=0xb77d4130, dataToReferTo=0x82cead8, numChannels_=0, numSamples=512) (/home/johannes/code/juce-git/src/audio/dsp/juce_AudioSampleBuffer.cpp:82) #3 0x8066d75 AudioFilterStreamer::audioDeviceIOCallback(this=0x82ce880, inputChannelData=0x82cd8d4, totalNumInputChannels=0, outputChannelData=0x82cd6d0, totalNumOutputChannels=2, numSamples=512) (../juce-git/extras/audio plugins/wrapper/Standalone/juce_AudioFilterStreamer.cpp:75) #4 0x8070f4b juce::AudioDeviceManager::audioDeviceIOCallbackInt(this=0x82ce678, inputChannelData=0x82cd8d4, numInputChannels=0, outputChannelData=0x82cd6d0, numOutputChannels=2, numSamples=512) (/home/johannes/code/juce-git/src/audio/devices/juce_AudioDeviceManager.cpp:668) #5 0x8071d3f juce::AudioDeviceManager::CallbackHandler::audioDeviceIOCallback(this=0x82ce868, inputChannelData=0x82cd8d4, numInputChannels=0, outputChannelData=0x82cd6d0, numOutputChannels=2, numSamples=512) (/home/johannes/code/juce-git/src/audio/devices/juce_AudioDeviceManager.cpp:901) #6 0x8130303 juce::ALSAThread::run(this=0x82cd510) (/home/johannes/code/juce-git/src/native/linux/juce_linux_Audio.cpp:540) #7 0x8145741 juce::Thread::threadEntryPoint(thread=0x82cd510) (/home/johannes/code/juce-git/src/threads/juce_Thread.cpp:65) #8 0x814587e juce::juce_threadEntryPoint(userData=0x82cd510) (/home/johannes/code/juce-git/src/threads/juce_Thread.cpp:88) #9 0x811ddf5 juce::threadEntryProc(value=0x82cd510) (/home/johannes/code/juce-git/src/native/linux/juce_linux_Threads.cpp:43) #10 0x1b280e start_thread(arg=0xb77d4b70) (pthread_create.c:300) #11 0x5ff8de clone() (../sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/i386/clone.S:130)

Ok, I see. Well, I guess the simplest approach would just be to tweak this line in AudioFilterStreamer::audioDeviceIOCallback()

const int numInsWanted = jmax (2, filter.getNumInputChannels());

[quote=“jules”]Ok, I see. Well, I guess the simplest approach would just be to tweak this line in AudioFilterStreamer::audioDeviceIOCallback()

const int numInsWanted = jmax (2, filter.getNumInputChannels()); [/quote]

Cool, that fixes it. “jmax(1, filter.getNumInputChannels())” seems to work also…
Does this do any extra work like copying empty input data?

No, it shouldn’t do any significant amount of extra work.

Am I missing something here? When I set the number of audio inputs to 0 in the Plugindemo, there is no output sound! I don’t want any audio inputs into a synth I’m creating.

Well I figured it out. These two lines of code should not be there.

// In case we have more outputs than inputs, we'll clear any output
    // channels that didn't contain input data, (because these aren't
    // guaranteed to be empty - they may contain garbage).
for (int i = getNumInputChannels(); i < getNumOutputChannels(); ++i)
        buffer.clear (i, 0, buffer.getNumSamples());

OK, what should it have been?