JUCE 1.50 chm files

Hi jules,
I have been looking for juce_1.50 chm files. Did manage to get the set of web-pages from http://juce.git.sourceforge.net/git/gitweb.cgi?p=juce/juce;a=blob_plain;f=docs/JuceAPIDocs.zip;hb=HEAD. It’s helpful but are there any plans of placing the chm help file for download.

Sorry - I’m using a Mac to run all my build scripts now, so don’t have the microsoft help generator tools any more.

Chm files is more helpful than the html pages. Can we generate the chm using dOxygen.???

I have a pc at home and have Abee Chm Maker. The problem is I have never created a chm file. I tried creating a chm file for juce but the search option didn’t work. If you could guide me through I can make chm file and give it to you so that you can put it on-line.

Your guess is as good as mine, I used to just let doxygen run the chm generation.

But I really don’t see what the advantage of a chm is - the html does searching, and contains all the same stuff. An ancient microsoft-only help format just feels wrong nowadays!

I feel chm files are helpfull for these reasons:

1. keeping my file system tidy.
  2. One file which i can click and open the help. ( we need either search for index.html in the folder or keep alias in the desktop.( though we can click on any file in the folder.))
  3. Indexing support in chm. ( missing in html pages.)
  4. searching is easy in chm. ( gives all the results but html displays some junk result).
  5. chm process takes 13,744KB ( 5,804KB VM ) and html opened in firefox takes 34,840KB(24,376VM), and iExplorer takes 25,320KB (23,992VM).
  6. Chm works both in MAC and P.C.( so advantage ).

Thanks
Godwin

Really? Do you need a special reader though?

I use xCHM v. 1.13 in mac.
Just place the app in ur system.

The only bug i found in XCHM is mouse scroll is very slow. U have to use the scroll bar to scroll the page.

+1 for CHM file. Much better and faster to use than the HTML docs.

[quote=“jules”]
But I really don’t see what the advantage of a chm is - the html does searching, and contains all the same stuff. [/quote]
Jules, I find that I always get strange source code symbols when I search the via the html index page. Perhaps, I am just being dumb and missing the obvious but please help. On firefox and IE, I get something like (this is just part of what I see there is more other junk):

Have you got javascript enabled? I’m afraid I didn’t write any of that code though - it’s all generated by doxygen, so perhaps they’ve got a bug…

I’ll grab the latest copy of doxygen next time I do a build in case they’ve fixed anything.

[quote=“jules”]Have you got javascript enabled? I’m afraid I didn’t write any of that code though - it’s all generated by doxygen, so perhaps they’ve got a bug…

I’ll grab the latest copy of doxygen next time I do a build in case they’ve fixed anything.[/quote]
Javascript is enabled. I downloaded doxygen-1.6.1-setup.exe and created the help html myself and this worked fine. Perhaps it’s the version you are using that has a bug.

Hi Jules,
This time I m expecting the chm file from u…
it will be very good for all the developers. i m fed up of clicking on the class and then scrolling down for the methods name.
Search dose not work in my system too. (even if the java script is enabled )

I cant even search for any possible method in juce which can help me in certain way.
i mean,i dont know if and all one method called paint is there, Which class contains it. I have to go through all the classes to find in which class that method actually exist.

Its a humble request to generate chm file.

Thanks.

[quote=“nyasha”][quote=“jules”]Have you got javascript enabled? I’m afraid I didn’t write any of that code though - it’s all generated by doxygen, so perhaps they’ve got a bug…

I’ll grab the latest copy of doxygen next time I do a build in case they’ve fixed anything.[/quote]
Javascript is enabled. I downloaded doxygen-1.6.1-setup.exe and created the help html myself and this worked fine. Perhaps it’s the version you are using that has a bug.[/quote]

Ah, I’ve got 1.5.9 here. Hopefully the update will sort it out.

[quote=“nyasha”][quote=“jules”]Have you got javascript enabled? I’m afraid I didn’t write any of that code though - it’s all generated by doxygen, so perhaps they’ve got a bug…

Javascript is enabled. I downloaded doxygen-1.6.1-setup.exe and created the help html myself and this worked fine. Perhaps it’s the version you are using that has a bug.[/quote]

You are not the only one. I had no luck with doxygen-1.6.1 and also microsoft’s chm file maker. :frowning:

Hopefully Jules would solve our problem now :slight_smile: .

I had no luck creating a chm with doxygen;
although it’s easy to create a doxyfile with
doxywizard, setting a ‘proper’ configuration
is not so trivial.
An easy way to obtain a (messed up)
chm file is by direct compilation with hhc.exe of
the available ‘JuceAPIDocs’ html files.
Not sure if can be useful to someone, but I’ll
post a win batch script that automate this process,
available here:
http://gattanini.altervista.org/files/APIDocsChm.zip

@echo off
title **** Create JuceAPIDocs chm file ****
set dname=JuceAPIDocs
rem hhc is part of 'Microsoft HtmlHelp Workshop'
rem Requirement 1: hhc (Microsoft HtmlHelp Workshop) visible in path
rem Requirement 2: subdirectory %dname% with extracted html docs
rem                and empty files 'toc.hhc' and 'Index.hhk' as in:
rem  .\ 
rem    |-generate.bat (this file)
rem    |-toc.hhc (empty file, do not edit)
rem    |-Index.hhk (empty file)
rem    |
rem    |-JuceAPIDocs\ (doxygen files)
rem                 |
rem                 |-annotated.html
rem                 |-...
rem                 |-index.html
rem                 |-...
rem                 |-tabs.css
set PATH=%PATH%;%PROGRAMFILES%\HTML Help Workshop
echo.
:GENERATEHHP
echo Generating hhp file...
echo [OPTIONS] > %dname%.hhp
echo Auto Index=Yes >> %dname%.hhp
echo Auto TOC=9 >> %dname%.hhp
echo Compatibility=1.1 or later >> %dname%.hhp
echo Compiled file=%dname%.chm >> %dname%.hhp
echo Contents file=toc.hhc >> %dname%.hhp
echo Default Window=main >> %dname%.hhp
echo Default topic=%dname%\index.html >> %dname%.hhp
echo Display compile progress=Yes >> %dname%.hhp
echo Full-text search=Yes >> %dname%.hhp
echo Index file=Index.hhk >> %dname%.hhp
echo Language=0x809 Inglese (Regno Unito) >> %dname%.hhp
echo Title=%dname% >> %dname%.hhp
echo. >> %dname%.hhp
echo [WINDOWS] >> %dname%.hhp
echo main="%dname%","toc.hhc","Index.hhk","%dname%\index.html","%dname%\index.html",,,,,0x43520,,0x384e,[10,10,810,610],,,,1,,,0 >> %dname%.hhp
echo. >> %dname%.hhp
echo [FILES] >> %dname%.hhp
rem now add -all- doc files
rem setlocal EnableDelayedExpansion
for %%I in (%dname%\*.*) do echo %%I >> %dname%.hhp
echo. >> %dname%.hhp
echo [INFOTYPES] >> %dname%.hhp
echo. >> %dname%.hhp
echo...Done
:COMPILECHM
echo Compiling chm file...
hhc %dname%.hhp