JUCE Accessibility on `develop`

… also tried this on a simulator with Accessibility Inspector and it shows no update to the slider value as you move the slider.

Thanks for the suggestions. I tried them out and noticed that setAlwaysOnTop only seems to work if your cover the parent component. If you are also covering other components then they still “bleed through”. Probably bad UI design on my part, enterModelState() seems to do what I need.

Are you just using a standard JUCE Slider with no modifications? I’m testing on an iPad here and the updated value is being read out as I swipe up and down with one finger when the slider has focus.

This is also the case for native iOS sliders so I don’t think it’s related. For example, the “Brilliance” slider in the Photos app does not update the value property in the accessibility inspector when changing it. Instead you need to re-select the slider with the cursor and it shows the updated value.

I’ve added this to the develop branch here:

1 Like

This should be fixed on develop now:

Great, I’ll try it out, thanks!

I downloaded the latest JUCE develop version, ran it on an iPad, checked the JUCE version in the start screen (v6.1.2). Then tried DemoRunner on an iPad and an iPhone. Same result - it doesn’t read out the values. Then tried a native slider - that works fine.

Small oddity -Narrator now reads button states, but twice: “on, on”, “off, off”.

How can I access the right click menu in the TextEditor. VO + Shift + M doesn’t seem to work in Voice Over to bring it up.

I think on Windows you’d need to handle WM_CONTEXTMENU not sure what the equivalent is on macOS

Comment from customer:

XXX is nice and smooth to use now, other than context menus requiring some jiggery-pokery with all screen readers except Narrator. At the moment the context menus seem to be some sort of child window, if you can make them a menu role/class/whatever the proper word is, I reckon you can call XXX a done deal. :slight_smile:

On macOS, there is the main menu bar model and you can add popupmenus to it. Any chance we can get something similar on Windows and macOS for using native context menus? And window menus on Windows.

On macOS, unless context menus are perfectly square, they have horrible pink rectangle around them now. And shadows can’t be used. So would be nicer just to switch to native menus.

Also on Monterey, ToggleButtons either say “1” or nothing. Didn’t they used to say checked or unchecked? Or is this a change in macOS?

On MacOS, if popup menus have submenu, VO automatically goes into submenus as soon as your cursor lands on it.
This makes it difficult to navigate the top level items because you have to keep get out of the submenu.
For example, let’s say a popup menu has top levels with submenus A, B, C … Z, and submenu A has a1 a2 a3, and submenu B has b1 b2 b3, and so on.
If you press VO space to open the popup menu, it automatically goes into subMenu A and select the item A1.
If you press left to get out, cursor is on subMenu A.
If you press down, it automatically goes into the submenu B and selects B1. You have to press left to get out again.
If you’re and submenu A, and if you want to go to Submenu Z, you have to repeat pressing left down left down left down instead of just pressing down to go through the submenus.
I’m not sure if this is Juce bug, but I haven’t seen any popup menu that lets me goes through submenus without automatically going into each one.
Some plugins uses a popup menu for presets, and it’s hard to navigate when there are many nested submenus.
Some examples include:
the menu on Surge XT with zoom, skin, and so on. It’s free.
Presets on Valhalla Super Massive. It’s free.
Preset menu on Pianoteq. You can demo for free.
hopefully this can be fixed.
Thanks!