JUCE Audio Host crashes with new Arturia plugins

The JUCE sample audio host player crashes if you try to resize one of the new Arturia plugins that come with their V6 modeling collection.

This is totally reproducible. The problem can also be reproduced with Max 8.

Stack trace below — and it’s identical regardless of which host I use.

The question however is whether this is a JUCE problem or an Arturia problem.

hread 0 Crashed:: JUCE Message Thread Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread
0 libobjc.A.dylib 0x00000001071dd71d objc_msgSend_stret + 29
1 com.Arturia.CMI-V.vst3 0x000000012387b498 0x1237a6000 + 873624
2 com.Arturia.CMI-V.vst3 0x00000001238719a4 0x1237a6000 + 833956
3 com.Arturia.CMI-V.vst3 0x0000000123a2ce46 0x1237a6000 + 2649670
4 com.Arturia.CMI-V.vst3 0x00000001240a61d7 0x1237a6000 + 9437655
5 com.Arturia.CMI-V.vst3 0x00000001240a6040 0x1237a6000 + 9437248
6 com.Arturia.CMI-V.vst3 0x0000000123870c5a 0x1237a6000 + 830554
7 com.Arturia.CMI-V.vst3 0x0000000123a571a8 0x1237a6000 + 2822568
8 com.Arturia.CMI-V.vst3 0x0000000123a40f71 0x1237a6000 + 2731889
9 com.Arturia.CMI-V.vst3 0x0000000123a413be 0x1237a6000 + 2732990
10 com.Arturia.CMI-V.vst3 0x0000000123af356f 0x1237a6000 + 3462511
11 com.Arturia.CMI-V.vst3 0x0000000123a2d917 0x1237a6000 + 2652439
12 com.Arturia.CMI-V.vst3 0x00000001240ac014 0x1237a6000 + 9461780
13 com.Arturia.CMI-V.vst3 0x0000000124160c4b 0x1237a6000 + 10202187
14 com.Arturia.CMI-V.vst3 0x000000012415fd05 0x1237a6000 + 10198277
15 com.Arturia.CMI-V.vst3 0x0000000124151cb4 0x1237a6000 + 10140852
16 com.Arturia.CMI-V.vst3 0x0000000124142098 0x1237a6000 + 10076312
17 com.Arturia.CMI-V.vst3 0x0000000124187531 0x1237a6000 + 10360113
18 com.Arturia.CMI-V.vst3 0x0000000124185500 0x1237a6000 + 10351872
19 com.apple.Foundation 0x0000000106baa52a __NSThreadPerformPerform + 326
20 com.apple.CoreFoundation 0x0000000105cfc3e1 CFRUNLOOP_IS_CALLING_OUT_TO_A_SOURCE0_PERFORM_FUNCTION + 17
21 com.apple.CoreFoundation 0x0000000105cdd65c __CFRunLoopDoSources0 + 556
22 com.apple.CoreFoundation 0x0000000105cdcb46 __CFRunLoopRun + 934
23 com.apple.CoreFoundation 0x0000000105cdc544 CFRunLoopRunSpecific + 420
24 com.apple.HIToolbox 0x000000010df4aebc RunCurrentEventLoopInMode + 240
25 com.apple.HIToolbox 0x000000010df4abf9 ReceiveNextEventCommon + 184
26 com.apple.HIToolbox 0x000000010df4ab26 _BlockUntilNextEventMatchingListInModeWithFilter + 71
27 com.apple.AppKit 0x00000001035fba54 _DPSNextEvent + 1120
28 com.apple.AppKit 0x0000000103d777ee -[NSApplication(NSEvent) _nextEventMatchingEventMask:untilDate:inMode:dequeue:] + 2796
29 com.apple.AppKit 0x00000001035f03db -[NSApplication run] + 926
30 com.roli.juce.pluginhost 0x0000000100bdb351 juce::MessageManager::runDispatchLoop() + 161 (juce_mac_MessageManager.mm:344)
31 com.roli.juce.pluginhost 0x0000000100bdb138 juce::JUCEApplicationBase::main() + 1000 (juce_ApplicationBase.cpp:262)
32 com.roli.juce.pluginhost 0x0000000100bdacec juce::JUCEApplicationBase::main(int, char const**) + 60 (juce_ApplicationBase.cpp:242)
33 com.roli.juce.pluginhost 0x000000010087c793 main + 51 (HostStartup.cpp:154)
34 libdyld.dylib 0x0000000107d3a235 start + 1

Can you reproduce the crash in other, non JUCE-based hosts?

I’m still waiting for Digital Performer to validate all my VSTs so I can try it there but the following was just posted by someone else.

I confirm crashes when resizing on Max 8 too.

This other hosts doesn’t crashes on resize: Reaper64, Mulab, Bitwig.

I have this other HOST called Element I used for tests and it crashes the same way.

Works fine with Digital Performer 9.x on my Mac

Any thoughts or ideas?

I don’t have access to the plug-ins so it’s a bit hard to test, and the stack trace that you posted doesn’t shed much light on the issue either. Are there demo versions of the crashing plug-ins available?

It would seem that these plugins can be downloaded as demos. See for example


That’s for the CMI-V which was when the problem was first noticed. We’ve since determined that the problem occurs with many of the other ones (latest versions)

OK, I can confirm that this is happening on macOS 10.14 when running the VST2 or VST3 versions of CMI-V in the JUCE plug-in host. It looks like the crash is occurring in their plug-in code and I can’t get anything useful from the stack trace so I’ve emailed their technical support. I’ll keep this thread updated.

Yeah, we have also reached out to Arturia — however, our concern is that the problem is in the JUCE libraries (I believe Arturia uses JUCE)

We ran into a bunch of problems when we upgraded to 5.4, one of for which we found and reported the fix (see Gathering of parameter list broken in JUCE 5.4.1 Audio Plugin Host) and right now we’re trying to figure out whether this new problem is due to JUCE support for plugins or JUCE support for hosts.

We think it’s the former because this problem only happened when the Arturia plugins were updated and the same plugins fail in a different way when we test with an earlier version of the host that used JUCE 5.2