Juce framework course for audio progmraming

So i’m on the search for a free (or at least cheap), juce-framework, online course. And as for now no much luck finding a good one…

• I found output’s two-courses long online program on kadenze. But only the first course out of the two is free, while the second one is very very expensive (500$). Furthermore, i’ve read that it’s full of bad code habits and that it’s overall not a good choice.
  • I also found TheAudioProgramer’s YouTube channel, which from what i have read is great. But i’m afraid that it’s not in-depth enough.
  • In addition to his YouTube channel, i also found TheAudioProgramer’s online course, which seems like the perfect choice. But as before, it’s way too exepnsive (250£).

Any suggestions will be really appritiated!

Is there anything specific you’d like to learn? The ADC video materials cover a wide range of topics, many of them utilising JUCE.

The reason that I want to get into JUCE is to build a DAW application, in addition to some plugins. so as far as I understand, the topics that I need to get into are: DSP development, audio development, MIDI development and UI development (the topics are taken from the “learn/tutorials” on the site).
But I want to emphasize, I’m completely new to JUCE, and audio development in general. So any tip to redirect me to the right way will be very nice :slight_smile:

if you want to build a DAW, use the tracktion engine. It will take care of pretty much all the audio side of things (though its still good to know whats going on behind the scenes) and you will really just need to worry about the UI and connecting the UI to the engine. So to get started you could focus on learning JUCE and how to build a UI in juce, then move to integrating with the engine.

The engine has some tutorials and a lot of helpful examples. It doesnt really have documentation though which can be a challenge at times if you dont really know where to look to find something, but the examples help quite a bit.

As far as learning JUCE, the juce tutorials are probably what helped me the most. I did the free kadenze course as well to learn a bit about plugins but as you said its not really that great. Definitely wouldnt pay for the paid course. The audio programmer youtube videos are good if you like to watch video tutorials. However yeah they arent really that in depth and a lot of them are essentially just videos of the written juce tutorials. I personally prefer the written juce tutorials since the videos can be sort of slow moving.

I was honestly kind of shocked how hard it is to find decent audio programming tutorials and books and what not. I was used to more traditional programming topics where theres a plethora of free info online for almost everything youd wanna know. Definitely not the case with audio. Audio programming is super niche so theres just not much out there.

The examples included with the Tracktion Engine download are an excellent place to learn the usage of the engine. I am nearing completion of my DAW which began as an extension of the “RecordingDemo” example. Or, perhaps, more accurately, it is an extension of the combination of the “RecordingDemo” and “MidiRecordingDemo” examples.

But get comfortable with JUCE first. After all, Tracktion Engine is built on JUCE. So you need to understand JUCE in order to understand Tracktion Engine.

I run this course: https://www.programmingformusicians.com

I have had several students complete it and land gigs at plugin companies.

Wow, thanks for all of the answers!

• As for the Tracktion engine, I’ve read about it the past day, and it seems like a great source for good coding and structure designing habits. But it was me who wasn’t clear… I’m interested in coding the DAW’s engine and UI myself.

• As far as learning JUCE, ping-ponging between the JUCE tutorials, and TheAudioProgramer’s YouTube videos seems like the best option. But it’s likely that I’ll watch Kadenze’s free course as well.

Again, if anyone has any more suggestions/recommendations, it’ll most likely be useful for me and others as well.

While I support your motivation I’m not sure if you are aware of the complexity of a task like that? I think most experienced programers here would agree that creating a well working DAW engine from scratch will take years for experienced people – and will probably take much longer if you are starting with it all right now.

If you want to go that route do it! But if you might want to have something up a running quite a bit faster, then you are one of the people the tracktion engine project is aimed at. Setting up the UI and the whole application structure from scratch will still be a lot of work even with the tracktion engine.

I don’t want to push our own wares too much but I would really advise against writing a DAW engine from scratch. There are literally thousands of really tricky decisions, interconnecting parts and threading nightmares to consider.

Tracktion Engine has evolved over nearly 20 years to its current state so it’s pretty mature and stable and a lot of work has gone in to creating and maintaining it.

If you want to make a product, the cool stuff is all in what the feature set is and how the user interacts with it. Personally I’d spend my time doing that.

Of course if you really want to write your own engine feel free, just be aware that it’s probably a way more monumental task than you’re imagining.

2 Likes