JUCE OpenGL + Intel GPU = Bad

Hi Jules,

Thought I’d bring this to your attention: the OpenGL demo doesn’t work correctly on Intel cards. I can’t really explain why atm, so here’s an image to demonstrate:
[attachment=0]JUCE - OpenGL - Intel Graphics Card.png[/attachment]

Hmm. Nasty, and hard to know what to do about that.

But it’s clearly not all intel cards, because I’ve got one myself in my Mac, and it works just fine!

I’ve noticed something similar on my old laptop which had an Intel GMA x3000 or something like that.

Hm… that’s really strange!

Not sure if it helps, but my driver version is 9.17.10.2867. I’m not really familiar with OpenGL (was just playing around with the demo) - but if there’s anything I can check to help, lemme know!

It looks like it’s just not accepting all the rectangles that are passed to it, but have no idea why that’d be. If you search for “numQuads”, you’ll see that on Windows it already heavily limits the number of quads that it sends to the driver.

Hm… slapping a ridiculously large number only helps slightly.

I found the exact type of Intel card, in case it helps narrow it down: Intel HD Graphics 2000 (It’s 2nd gen, and sandy bridge).

Intel HD 2000 and 3000 Graphics (Sandy bridge) only support up to OpenGL 3

I’m having the exact same issues with my Sony laptop. It has Intel HD Graphics 4000, which supports OpenGL 4.0. This has a “hybrid” graphics setup, It actually has an nVidia GPU as well but uses the Intel graphics to save battery, etc. If I manually tell the machine to use to use the nVidia GPU, the Juce demo draws perfectly, so it seems like something with the Intel side. I just downloaded the latest drivers, which are new as of last month, and that allowed more of the scrolling text to draw, and more of the background shape behind the cube is drawing as well, but still majorly screwy.

I’m in the process of learning both Juce and OpenGL and I’m a bit stumped here. I would like to make sure anything I make will work on these Intel HD Graphics machines before I go any farther down the path of using Juce, since that’s an awful lot of potential PC users. Any suggestions on this anyone?

nick

Have you tried the latest build? I got a Microsoft surface last week, which has an intel GPU, and the GL was screwed on that - I went in and tweaked a few things so that it runs on there now. Just seemed like a bug in the driver, which I found a workaround for. Don’t know whether it was the same problem, but worth a try!

Actually, no. I have a version from a few weeks back I think. That sounds promising. On my way home from Messe now, so will try it once I’m back home (guess we crossed paths – didn’t see you were there till I read the forum today!)

n