Juce Tutorial - beginnings

another chapter (files) added.

PDF Download
StartingPoint.zip

i’ve tweaked the StartingPoint files, so please redownload them (this chapter starts from scratch again). This probably means i’ll have to edit some of the older chapters some more too…

still plenty to do yet :shock: :slight_smile:

NOTE: there will be more on the File class!

chapter 7 is actually different to what i’d said before. chapter 6 (file handling) is actually now in 2 parts. Before I go onto these other data types, i’m doing an ‘intermission’ discussing the debug stream, and a project on building your own ‘console’ component, how to create ‘customised’ versions of existing components, and how to make your own polymorphic components with behaviour you can override.

that’s just something to ‘look forward to’

[quote=“Rellik”]Hi haydxn! Your tutorial is great so far! If you don’t mind, could I ask a question here in this thread?

You see, I’ve been able to compile your StartingPoint (the first one, just for the blank window), but it isn’t showing up when I run it. I’m on Linux, so I added the #define LINUX to the beginning, so now it compiles fine - I just don’t really know why it isn’t showing up (when I run it, it seems to work fine, then exits spontaneously after a few seconds). Any ideas (anyone)? Thanks![/quote]

I’m going to give it another shot on Monday, any other ideas for what I should try? :slight_smile:

I can post the Makefile when I get there, if anyone thinks that it would be useful in figuring it out.

I figured it out :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

In case anyone has a similar problem, this is what was causing it not to show up on-screen and to subsequently silently crash:

moreThanOneInstanceAllowed() has to return true to avoid the crash (in the tutorial source, it returns false)

(obviously this is only an issue for Linux, or even maybe just the type of Linux we use here, but if you’re having a similar problem, it’s something to try)

Anyway, now it’s showing up fine, so I’ll continue with the tutorial :smiley:

hey, sorry i’ve not been able to help with that but i’m glad you’ve got it sorted!

i need to have a small break from writing the tutorial, as i’ve a big load of uni work to get done :s and i’ve got to stop drawing these frogs too!

sorry to stop in the middle of a chapter! I’ve uploaded the latest version with the first part of chapter 7. it’s quite a big chapter already but it’s not finished and stops quite abruptly!

it’s the same link as before

Slight spelling error on a quick run through chapter 4.

Page 30:

Should be:

EDIT:

Page 33:

Should be:

Mabye instead of bonnet, use hood instead? As the API is more in a reference to a car engine then a hat. :slight_smile:

And I need to quit now before the grammer/spelling nazi completely surfaces, I saw a few other things, when I read chp.4 again, I’ll mention.

with you on the first one, cheers :slight_smile:

but there’s nothing wrong with the sentence i’ve written! :slight_smile:

Just indicating past tense rather then present or future. :slight_smile:

[quote=“OvermindDL1”]
Mabye instead of bonnet, use hood instead? As the API is more in a reference to a car engine then a hat. :)[/quote]

“…lift the skirts and take a good look at the private parts of…”

“Bonnet” and “Boot” are car references, as opposed to the new-worldy “Hood” and “Trunk”, which are apparently references to the Bronx and a tree, respectively. :twisted:

Hood?! A hood is a fookin hat! And a bonnet is the thing that keeps our engines covered.

This is a British library don’t you know, for British programmers and British tutorial writers!

:wink:

Hi Haydxn

Are there any plans to expand the tutorial any further??

yes, definitely! i have to at least finish this chapter and then there are at least a dozen other chapters i’ve yet to write

haydxn, thanks for writing this tutorial, i just started it a few hours ago and it is easy to understand.

I’m using Dev CPP (Bloodshed) on XP and had some trouble compiling the tutorial with version 1.24 of JUCE (i’m very new to oop for c++).

After studying my output, i was able to figure out that your code has this:

: DialogWindow ( AppSettings::appName, Colours::lightgrey )

on line 54

I had to change it to this:

: DialogWindow ( AppSettings::appName, Colours::lightgrey, 1, 1 )

to get it to work.

Is this is an error or something compiler specific?

Thanks again,

Angelo Lakra

hi there, thanks for letting me know of your problem and not just giving up!

i’ve been too busy lately to do any programming whatsoever, and two versions of JUCE have been released since i last worked on my tutorial. i’ve yet to download the latest version, so i’ll have to have a look at it in the week. quite a few classes have been updated, so it’s not surprising to see that my tutorial code has been affected…

i believe i’ll have some time on wednesday to have a closer look at it all.

many thanks again for finding this out, please accept my apologies for not having this fixed already!

Haydxn probably wrote that using an older version of JUCE.

haydxn types fast too.

Heh, yes he does.

I’ve made a new set of starting point files to get back compatibility with the latest Juce version, but have yet to update the tutorial. Here is a zip of the files…

New starting point files

There’s also a VCe project using those files which you can copy and rename for new projects.

Visual C++ Express project

I’ll update the tutorial very soon; in case you hadn’t noticed, I’ve started converting the tutorial to the Juce WiKi. Hopefully that will help kick-start the WiKi’s usefulness a bit. I need to adapt the chapters (including re-do screenshots!) for the new files to be compatible with the latest Juce version. I’ll keep y’all updated.

I can compile all the JUCE example apps, but can’t seem to compile the app files for Tutorial 1, because of these errors -

1>Compiling...
1>ApplicationStartup.cpp
1>JUCE! Linking to: jucelib_static.lib
1>..\..\..\..\..\Desktop\tutorial files\ApplicationStartup.cpp(57) : error C2661: 'juce::DialogWindow::DialogWindow' : no overloaded function takes 2 arguments
1>..\..\..\..\..\Desktop\tutorial files\ApplicationStartup.cpp(68) : error C2065: 'windowAppearsOnTaskbar' : undeclared identifier

Is it because I have a newer JUCE version, because the links for the new tutorial files in the post above this don’t seem to work.

I am using VC++ Express 2005, with Multithreaded not MT DLL in the settings and all JUCE libraries compiled and listed for searching.

Thanks for your help,
Soroush King,