First Post

hi. That’s it. Valley, if you can… when I get around to putting up the full dev-c++ tutorial, can you sticky it? :slight_smile:

I wasn’t going to ask you to post that guide as it seemed presumptuos, but if you do post it, I’ll be happy to sticky it. 8)

btw, check your pms

Hmm, I’m never really sure what to say for my first post at a new forum, but I guess “Hi” will suffice. Most of the people coming here will be from KVR and know a little about each other already, but I’ve only got a handful of posts there, so I guess I’ll just introduce myself.

I’m a 19 year old (Senior) Computer Science student at the University of Minnesota. Most of my programming experience is in C++, which I started learning about 7 years ago, although I’ve done a bit of Java as well. I’ve only read about the basics of Win32 programming before, and it was a little intimidating for all but the most basic tasks. JUCE looks like a good way for me to get started making some real programs outside of school.

There’s no need for you guys to introduce yourselves though, since I’ve been lurking at KVR for close to a year now. Here’s hoping this forum grows, because I’ll probably be lost without some help from more experienced programmers.

I’m still fiddling around with this thing… I hope it all starts making sense soon. Thanks again for the tut Robert… and thanks valley for setting up a forum specifically for this. I think I’ve got a lot to learn… gonna have to hunt down my c++ for dummies (and yes, it’s the only c++ book I own). :wink:

Don’t worry MOD, I’m learning from 2 books. One is Sam’s 24 hour book, and the other is the C++ All In One Desk Reference For Dummies. Now, I’m not advanced at programming yet, but just know you are not the only one. The two books I mentioned are the easiest to read and understand for me so far. I also have a few charts, reference books, etc. to look things up in without re-reading whole sections just to find a syntax.

Koolkeys

Hey ppl, I’ll just be over here lurking quietly over here in the corner. I may speak up from time to time. Really impressed with JUCE, have thumbed through the docs and some of the source, but still need to find time to fully dig into it. Good to see the JuceAudioPlugin has come together.

I just posted a help request and realized that this forum was born. So, I’ll just repost it here :slight_smile:

Robert, thanks a lot! I finally got JUCE library to compile following your instruction. But, I can’t get the example to link correctly. I get the following error message:

25 C:\Dev-Cpp\Makefile.win [Build Error] *** multiple target patterns. Stop.

Before this error, some of the “important (?)” log are as follows:

OBJ = “D:/juce/projects/example project for Win32/Main.o” (RES) LINKOBJ = "D:/juce/projects/example project for Win32/Main.o" (RES)
LIBS = -L"C:/Dev-Cpp/lib" -L"D:/juce/bin" -mwindows -ljuce -lmsvfw32 -lwinmm -lrpcrt4
INCS = -I"C:/Dev-Cpp/include"
CXXINCS = -I"C:/Dev-Cpp/include/c++/3.3.1" -I"C:/Dev-Cpp/include/c++/3.3.1/mingw32" -I"C:/Dev-Cpp/include/c++/3.3.1/backward" -I"C:/Dev-Cpp/lib/gcc-lib/mingw32/3.3.1/include" -I"C:/Dev-Cpp/include"

I’m suspecting step #9, because when I opened new project, it loaded a main.cpp automatically (default behavior?). So, I deleted this file from the project and loaded the main.cpp from the example location shown in your step #9. Am I already messed up at this point? I seem to have gotten stuck at the same point as ModuLR once did.

Can you tell what I did wrong from the log message? And again, thanks a million! I would never have gotten this far on my own.

Gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood morning Vietnam! Or wherever.

Got to get this ruddy plug unplugged from its hacked surroundings and into the new VST code.

Bother.

Well at least it’ll mean AN ACTUAL MAC VERSION OF STEPCHILD OSX!! Or whatever it’s called.

KLF

ooh. nice emoticons. :shock:
someone want to do some smooth T-colored ones?

Guest!?!?

How’d that happen?

soju… when I hit a wall, I just reinstalled everything… and the second time around it all went very smoothly. I know it doesn’t answer the question but…

Progress report… I just got the JuceDemoFilter to compile with Dev-C… problem now is it throws an exception in eXT, and it won’t even load in T. :shock: :evil: :? but it does compile at least… :wink:

that was me btw… :oops: oopsie…

Yeah I managed to post as guest last night too.

I need to turn of guest posting… :oops:

Welcome all. :slight_smile:

Sojuman, Ill look into it. Just woke up :slight_smile:

Koolkeys, great C++ book! (sam in 24 hours), Im going to get that one myself to brush up on C++. It’s funny enough Ive spent many long long days working in C on redhat/fedora but never touched a UI with code from a mile away :wink: Let alone much oop. The basic concepts are the same though.

Just ask questions here :slight_smile:

Sojuman, if you can restart a project and follow the new directions step, by step…

Maybe it’d help if you wrote a reply as you followed each step, confirming that you completed it and what happened.

Mod, check your PMs.

To people having trouble compiling:

I can’t get the JuceDemo to compile at all. I don’t think it has been made devc++ friendly yet. The Hello World example that comes with JUCE 1.4 should compile without any hitches though, and is a very good place to start tinkering to get some kind of feel for what classes are available and what they all do.

Im gonna fix up JuceDemo today I hope…

Juce demo compiles fine for me :wink:

After you add all files from /src to a win32 GUI (and remove the default main.cpp)

add all files from src/demos

Then in jucedemo_headers.h make sure your juce.h include points to the right place

I put my jucedemo in d:/juce/jucedemo so my include is

Then these are your linker paramters

-ljuce -lmsvfw32 -lwinmm -lrpcrt4 -lwininet

assuming you set one of your library directories to X:/juce/bin

Should compile fine.

I’ll try it again, but that’s what I had.

Thinking on it, it is possible though that I forgot to reset the JUCE path in the jucedemo_header, as I re-extracted the archive before compiling…

hmmm… :!: :idea: :oops:

have any of you tried compiling the VST demo? (I think you said you did robert, correct?) I’ve got it to compile, but I get no interface. Weird thing is eXT will load it, but it throws an exception. Tracktion won’t load it at all. It seems to be in some quasi valid state… cos normalling eXT will tell you if a dll is valid or not.

this is what I did in the JuceVstMain.cpp … I tried applying the changes one would do to get the VST SDK to compile in Dev-C++ … something to do with main. Becuase I don’t know what I’m doing, I’m forced to use hackery and just trying ideas. The below change with asm(“main”) blah blah made it compile, but it’s still no workie! And what’s the deal with .def files?

[code]#else
extern “C” __declspec(dllexport) AEffect* main_plugin (audioMasterCallback audioMaster) asm(“main”);

AEffect* main (audioMasterCallback audioMaster)
{
try
{
if (audioMaster (0, audioMasterVersion, 0, 0, 0, 0) != 0)
{
JuceVSTWrapper* const wrapper = new JuceVSTWrapper (audioMaster, createPluginFilter());
return wrapper->getAeffect();
}
}
catch (…)
{}

return 0;

}[/code]

an what’s the deal with .def files? this is what I used…

LIBRARY JUCEGAIN DESCRIPTION 'Gain Plugin for VstPC' EXPORTS main

must stay focused… must make it work! ARGH! :lol: