Uh! say hello to me....and help me please!

hello!
well, i’m new to the forum, i’m new to juce, i’m new to c++

i’m new!

i’m using devc++ (yeah, and juce… 8) )
so…
need some basic help right now… i read the juce programming toturial but it seems quite “old”…well, i can’t build the examples (and i had no problem compiling the “hello world” project)

i would like to have some basic code… just to read it, compile it, learn from it…simple applications… just to read the code and play with it to get familiar with juce.

can you help me?

thanks a lot
cheers

marco

Hi there, and welcome…

So the juce demo and the Jucer aren’t enough code for you? (ok, I know there’s no devc++ project for the Jucer, but you can certainly play with the demo app).

And out of interest, why devc++ rather than vcexpress?

yeah i think the demo could be enough…but…you now…we always want more and more.

jules…this is the first time i talk to you… just one word…thanks

tracktion was (and is) a wonderful piece of software :wink:

[quote]yeah i think the demo could be enough…but…you now…we always want more and more.

jules…this is the first time i talk to you… just one word…thanks

tracktion was (and is) a wonderful piece of software Wink[/quote]

Ta very much!

Hello Jules, I’m new to posting here, but I’ve been visiting for quite some time. I am a newbie to c++ and Juce and I have gotten stuff compiled so far, but I am having a hard time learning Juce. I have to agree with debaser in that smaller demo apps would be really helpful for us newbies. I wanted to try my hand at it myself, but I’m having a hard enough time getting everything to run ok with Dev C++, which I use because Visual C++ Express requires far too much HD space, whereas my HD is really limited at the moment.

By the way, Juce is just awesome! I’ve stuck with it for this long, even though I’m having such a tough time learning it and getting it to work with Dev C++, simply because I haven’t seen a better open source offering. wxWindows is just ugly to me and freeBASIC, though I do still use it, just isn’t as mature and robust as is Juce.

Anyway, hopefully more users will begin making available some simpler apps for us uberweenie’s to learn from.

[quote=“daskizzle”]Hello Jules, I’m new to posting here, but I’ve been visiting for quite some time. I am a newbie to c++ and Juce and I have gotten stuff compiled so far, but I am having a hard time learning Juce. I have to agree with debaser in that smaller demo apps would be really helpful for us newbies. I wanted to try my hand at it myself, but I’m having a hard enough time getting everything to run ok with Dev C++, which I use because Visual C++ Express requires far too much HD space, whereas my HD is really limited at the moment.

By the way, Juce is just awesome! I’ve stuck with it for this long, even though I’m having such a tough time learning it and getting it to work with Dev C++, simply because I haven’t seen a better open source offering. wxWindows is just ugly to me and freeBASIC, though I do still use it, just isn’t as mature and robust as is Juce.

Anyway, hopefully more users will begin making available some simpler apps for us uberweenie’s to learn from.[/quote]

Hello and welcome…

Shame that you can’t find room for VCexpress - it’s really so much better than devc++ that it’s worth buying a new HD for!

I wish I had time to write the code AND write loads of examples and documentation, but sadly I don’t! Haydxn’s done a fine job of his tutorial but things change fast and he’s had no time to keep it up to date.

Is there any particular aspect of it all that you’re finding tricky? I’m sure there are a few basic concepts which, once you grasp them, make the whole thing suddenly make sense. Any bits of the API docs that don’t seem to explain sufficiently what a class is for?

i’ve been setting up a linux system for myself to play with over the past few days. mostly, this is for my artwork, so i can have a totally zen art workstation to operate in (using just inkscape and the gimp - all i need for my silly art like this).

But also this is so that i can have a crack at getting juce set up for coding in linux too, because i want to know what it’s like on the other side!

I’m almost sorted there now, so hopefully i’ll be able to get back on the tutorial case. i spent a lot of time trying to get a good sturdy format sorted - it’s defintiely going the PDF route for good now, and it’s going to be a little more like a book than it was before. It’s about 100 pages long so far and i’m not nearly done, but most of it is still out of date. I’ll try not to take too long about it, and I’ll try to release each chapter when they’re ready like i did before.

an other silly question:
whatever i compile i always get a 2Mbytes exe file…
how can i reduce the size of the file? (i’m on devcpp but i get even bigger files with vcexpress)
it’s not a big issue right now… but if you can help it’s fine :slight_smile:
cheers from rome
marco

are you sure that you’re creating release builds? debug builds are always bigger!

yeah probably you are compiling in debug mode. i always get 4/5 megabytes executables when compiling in debug mode, while only 1 meg in release. if you want to further compress your executable you can use pecompact

ciao

Never heard of Pecompact. I’ve always used UPX. How do they compare (besides UPX being FOSS)?

compression ratio is better in pecompact since it is based on a lzma algo from 7-zip. also it supports VC++ 7 and 8 (Visual Studio 2003, 2005) CRT SEH protections, and i had troubles with that and upx before (don’t know if it address the problem now).

FYI, the latest version of UPX does fix the VC7 bugs.

sure ?
i get always broken executables with 1.24w (i think is the latest). if i try to compress an application i get “upx: CantPackException: unexpected value in PE header (try --force)”. and trying --force it does really broke my exe.

[quote=“kraken”]sure ?
i get always broken executables with 1.24w (i think is the latest). if i try to compress an application i get “upx: CantPackException: unexpected value in PE header (try --force)”. and trying --force it does really broke my exe.[/quote]

no, there’s a version 2.01 out now that fixes all that.

The older versions of UPX didn’t work at all (didn’t even generate a new exe) if the exe is made with 7.1 or 8.0. The latest version works like a charm though, never have had a corrupt exe.

I’ll stick with UPX though, since PECompact has a rather… high cost.
Actually I have not even compressed anything in so long, don’t really see the point, I usually 7z things up to transfer around, and hard drive space generally isn’t suffering for an extra 1.5 megs or whatever…