MS Visual C++ Express Beta 1 - Compiling JUCE

1. Install the Core SDK from the Microsoft site. The first link under windows server 2003.

2. Download the missing files pack: MIA Pack

3. Follow the directions described in JUCE documentation. Ignore the fact that you are not using the Platform Update. The Microsoft SDK directories will match the docs.

4. place the MissingFiles pack content into your “Microsoft SDK” directory…

Compile, and all should be good (hopefully there won’t be any missing libs later down the line). It worked for me…

NOTE: You can alternatively use the XP-SP2 Platform update, and tell it to install the core sdk, however it doesn’t keep the directory stucture described in the JUCE docs so I wasn’t sure if I was missing anything. The missing files in the pack above are from the XP-SP2 Platform update and the DirectX SDK.

Maybe we can get out of this Dev-C++ hell now… :smiley:

does this fix the minimize bug?

I’m not going to get a chance to try it tonight, so I’m eager to know. :wink:

SDK wont install… argh

wrong OS or OS version.

fuck fuck. I cant download it at all. my ISP totally blocks it.

sigh ok… finding a free proxy server to work through… that normally works with this bullshit for some reason

[quote=“valley”]does this fix the minimize bug?

I’m not going to get a chance to try it tonight, so I’m eager to know. ;)[/quote]

Not at all… the minimize bug is still there… and the filesize is whopping 400k LARGER! WTF! :roll: :evil:

well that doesn’t bode well then… :wink:

Not for the libjuce.a compile obviously, but there’s probably an option in VCEx somewhere to set how much debugging data is left in the exe, and you may even be able to set it up to auto strip.

The minimize thing is definitely odd though, Jules says it compiles and works fine on his machine, whereas you have replicated the behaviour I’m getting, but on two different compilers.

:?

I hope jules never turns out to be a drunk or an addict… becuase he’ll always deny it! Bwwwhahahahahahaha! :lol: (sorry Jules, I couldn’t resist!) :smiley:

woohooo juce is compiling…

now I can get to work on valley’s thing.

hello world gives me…

LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file ‘odbc32.lib’

any quick fixes before I go goose chasin?

download my missing files pack (read the top of the thread) it’s in the zip, in the lib directory. Just take the contents of the zip and place it in your “Microsoft SDK” directory. Make sure you have added the Microsoft SDK/lib to your directories in VC (basically follow the the JUCE docs in terms of what directories to use… but instead of Platinum SDK, it’ll say Microsoft SDK.

I just added the lib… forgot.

now Im getting LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file ‘jucelib_static_debug.lib’

humph.

I just added the lib… forgot.

now Im getting LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file ‘jucelib_static_debug.lib’

humph.[/quote]

you are getting that because you must have built the JUCE lib as a release… but you are trying to build the sample projects as a debug… it’s looking for the debug lib… OR have you made sure to include your juce/bin directory in the libs for VC?

BTW, MS VC express works GREAT! and I did recomple “release” versions of the sample editor… and it is now 400k! :slight_smile: The directions above work… they definately work. Without question, this is a much better IDE.

hrm. It defaulted to release.

And I cant changed the example to release… it keeps switching to debug…

and I do have the juce directories set right.

I must say though, this is 100x better than dev-C++, bloat and all.

still aint working for me.

I cleaned out and reinstalled JUCE entirely.

I’m still getting the compile errors like

I’m starting to get bored with this. I don;t really have time to commit to trying to get this to build right now - especially if even after building issues like broken minimize remain.

You’re missing the win64 stuff…

I have the minimise problem fixed kinda btw… give me a few minutes/hours

Shouldn’t be - I have the core ms stuff installed complete with the Win64 diectory.

I told the compiler where to find it. beyond that it can workit out for itself.

Shouldn’t be - I have the core ms stuff installed complete with the Win64 diectory.

I told the compiler where to find it. beyond that it can workit out for itself.[/quote]

It’s unicode errors, which are most likely in the win64 stuff…

sure you set up the directorie’s proper?

yup

Nothing I’m trying here is making a crap of difference.